Hydro Foils???

Dyllan

Cadet
OK the boat 23' 3,400 lbs (with gas and people and gear) Pushing this is a
suzuki 4 stroke 250hp. Would a hydo foil on the motor do more good or harm to my prof.,

What are the Pros/Cons of a hydo foil on your motor??

gotboostedvr6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hydro Foils???

i would go up one hole on the bracket and install a flat hydro foil or leave the motor where it is and install a V hydrofoil

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No hydro foil crap, buy some smart tabs.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have trim tabs forget the hydrofoil. It would do more harm than good. Concentrate on optimizing setup.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Ditto what JB said,

With trim tabs the foil is just going to work against them.Foils suck anyway and cause more handling problems than they do benefits.
Plus the foil puts major stress on the cavitation plate..

Dyllan

Cadet

Once again great info. from a great forum.. Thanks guys

scoathy

Cadet

No hydro foil crap, buy some smart tabs.

I was at the nauticus website looking at the smart tabs. I have a 2000 Tahoe Q3 18ft with a 4.3l carb i/o according to the website I would need model number STS1290-80 but then I noticed they now have the Smart Tabs SX and calls out SX9510-80 for my boat size. The new SX series is approximately $80 cheaper and seems to offer more bang for my buck. Can someone offer some input please as this does not make any sense to me. Why would they offer a better made model of a tried and proven product for 2/3 the price and why would anyone by the smart tabs if the SX series were better.

Don't get me wrong. I am sold on the nauticus equipment after reading several dozen positive posts today but do not want to spend $230 when I can get what I need for 2/3 of that...

Thanks!

Scott

scoathy

Cadet

OK... I found these on the iBoat website but what is the difference in the SX version other than what is visible? I want to order a set today but am hesitant since the only difference I see is ...err.. what I actually see... :)

Thanks!

Scott

Quogue

Cadet

I agree,
I tried those foils on my 17 Whaler with 90hp, I did not like them and now have 4 holes in my cav. plate. They may be good for an underpowered boat that needs to get up on plain quicker.
Trim tabs on my 22 are great to level you out when people move around on the boat or the wind changes.

Laram51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have them on my 24' Proline , 225 yamaha 2 stroke and I find them fuel efficient especially at trolling. like two and a half gallons per hour

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

With these on your boat, can you still trim the bow up when you want to, or do they counteract each other ??? There are certain wave conditions where I like the bow high to crash through the big waves.

gotboostedvr6

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your motor is installed properly and 90 % aren't.. The cav plate should be out of the water at speed..

If you want to get up on plane quicker follow my instructions above.

If you want to learn how to install an outboard properly and be able to use a hydrofoil w/o losing any speed email me ill help you all i can :
gtoboostedeg@gmail.com

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your motor is installed properly and 90 % aren't.. The cav plate should be out of the water at speed..

If you want to get up on plane quicker follow my instructions above.

If you want to learn how to install an outboard properly and be able to use a hydrofoil w/o losing any speed email me ill help you all i can :
gtoboostedeg@gmail.com

gotboostedvr6,

You are leaving us hanging.. What is it??

Larry

cubic123

Cadet

Since we're on the subject .Will a hyro foil make a motor sluggish and not get to speed ? We bought a used boat excellent conditin Procraft 1989 .115 HP Merc .Previous owner said it needed a hydro foil so I put 1 on before we ever put it in the water .Took the boat to the marina and had it serviced .But in the water it takes forever to get up to maybe 35 .
So will a hydo foil cause this ?What's the solution ?