rope wrapped around my prop engine wont start

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I was at idle speed when all of a sudden all I hear is a ban g and the engine stops. Turn the engine back on in nuturel and starts up fine. Then I put it into gear and she stalls again. I lifted up the outdrive and sure enough there was rope wrap around it. I cut it off and return how about 15 miles away. Once closer to home I realize the engine is starting to heat up. So I shut it down. Tried to start her back up and she won't. Could the rope be the reason why my engine started to overheat and then not start? Remember that I drove it almost 15 miles after I saw and removed the rope. Please help. I have already asked about my engine overheating but neglected to mention the rope. Thanks again Right now my I removed the risers/manifold and plugs. I really need help. I am a college student with no money and no one to turn to. This is my first boat and first season with her.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: rope wrapped around my prop engine wont start

Doubtful, (very) if you were able to drive another fifteen miles.....;)

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Might want to pull prop and make sure no remaining rope behind prop. How hot did it get? Will it start when cool?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Might want to pull prop and make sure no remaining rope behind prop. How hot did it get? Will it start when cool?
Good advice! Could still be rope around the prop shaft.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Doubtful, (very) if you were able to drive another fifteen miles.....;)

Dude, help me with this? Confused. I have pulled ropes off of props at least 10 times (mine and friends and poor wayward souls). They all ran and are still running as far as I know . . . :confused:

KaGee

Admiral

Please tell us what motor and drive are we talking about?

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a 1987 mercrusier 4.3L. I think it's Alpha 1. Not sure. Thanks