Need Advice

richlbc

Cadet
I just purchased a 1999 1750 capri with the mercury 3.0 and Alpha gen2 ..The prop is a litle banged up so i am looking for a stainless steel prop and one that can possibly get me planing at a lower speed.Does anyone no the size and pitch of the stock prop and what would be a good prop to upgrade to..Any info much apreciated..Thanks Richard

rndn

Commander
Re: Need Advice

Welcome to the forum!!
Do you know what size you have now? It should be stamped on it. If performance was okay prior to banging the prop, you can stay around the same size as long as your RPM's were in the wide open throttle range as recommended by the manufacturer. Try a four blade with one inch less pitch than you had if you are just looking to increase the boats ability to plane quickly. I must stress though that without knowing if you were reaching the proper rpm's with the old prop, you could damage your engine by causing either an over revving or under revving condition. By over revving you could exceed your engine upper limits and cause a major breakdown. By under revving you would place undo starin on your engine and significantly shroten it's usefull life. Try taking off uphill on a 10 speed in 10th gear, that's what you would do to your motor by putting too much pitch in the new prop.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Planing at a slower speed is not a function of the prop -- the hull design determines at what speed it will plane. Different types of props can help get on plane in less time, but the actual point where the boat planes remains the same although even then it depends on the load and distribution of that load. Trim tabs can help get the boat on plane at a slower speed and keep it on plane at a slower speed.

richlbc

Cadet

My prop size is 14 1/4 21 pitch..The motor was at 4500 to 4600 rpms.How would a 13 7/8 21pitch prop work?Thanks for all advice