115 Merc, stalls in reverse but not in forward?

lostinnd

Cadet
Hey, well I have the motor running great in Forward, no stalling anymore or anything but when I go into reverse it will idle in reverse and if I give it ANY throttle it bogs and sometimes dies. If I continue giving it throttle it will continue to bog and sometimes it will catch and rev way up. It seems as though it is running too rich but it runs great in forward gear. BTW it is an 1983 inline 6 cyl 115hp. Any ideas?
Thanks, Matt

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 115 Merc, stalls in reverse but not in forward?

Well; I'm no expert but it would appear that there is more exhaust back pressure when in reverse than in forward.

Similiar to the issues here all the time where an engine will seem to run fine on the muffs...but bog when in the water.

I'd bet that one of the pros here will want you to re-check your carbs and synch settings... We'll see...

Chuck

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sea Kaye is onto it. Possibly an increase in idle speed setting will overcome the problem.

Mark

Quad82

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with the above, Raise idle RPMs. Maybee! I see a lot of boaters aren't afraid to shove the throttle into forward and hit the gas. But when it comes to reversing, they pussyfoot around and try to ease it into gear and tap the throttle up. Maybe worried that the motor will come flying up out of the water. If the motor isn't tuned, it will fall on its face.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Take off your cowling and look at the shift mechanism, typically, the piece that locks onto the actual shifter linkage is on a threaded portion of the cable allowing for minor adjustment. Maybe you can dump an entire can of Seafoam into your gas tank to clean the system initially. It could also be a simple carb adjustment as those old motors need tweaks every now and again. Search the posts for Merc carb adjustments or take it to a qualified mechanic. Good luck.