78 mercruiser 228

suzuki0702

Cadet
hey guys first post! i searched hi and lo for the best boating forum and here i ended up!

ok so i bought this boat off a buddy of mine. he was begging me for months. well it needs some work. heres a list ive gotten together so far.

bellows
flywheel
gimble bearing
carpet
little bit of wood and some tlc

so it turns out the ring gear is off the flywheel. how much have i bit off here. i know the motor needs to come off but i cant even find the parts for this thing. this is my first boat overhaul. the guy has the whole prop assembly off the boat. its a mercruiser 228. i have the engine serial number, but cant seem to get it to corespond with any parts. what am i missing here?? i dont know how this bottom end goes back together! is there a clymers or haynes manual? im just learning what the bellows are but am still unclear about that. i read i need a special tool to remove the gimble bearing and then i need a special one to install it. im feeling a bit overwhelmed. any help is appreciated!!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 mercruiser 228

Welcome to iboats.....:)
Merc manual # 6 will work for most of your needs with respaect to your drive.......
Click on the lettered setions on page seven to download the section that you want to view.....
Here is a link to a free online manual.....:)
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/srvcovr.pdf

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........

Isn't the 228 a SBC motor,+ a Mod.1 outdrive,..??..??....

If so,..... The Ring Gear is a piece of Cake,......
It's either a 12" or 14" Chevy Ring Gear......

i read i need a special tool to remove the gimble bearing and then i need a special one to install it. im feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Those "Special Tools" are a Slide Hammer to Remove it,+ a BFH with a block of Wood to drive it back In........

hey guys first post! i searched hi and lo for the best boating forum and here i ended up!

Ayuh,.........
Atleast you got That part Right................;)

MikDee

Banned

Ayuh,.........

Isn't the 228 a SBC motor,+ a Mod.1 outdrive,..??..??....

If so,..... The Ring Gear is a piece of Cake,......
It's either a 12" or 14" Chevy Ring Gear......

Those "Special Tools" are a Slide Hammer to Remove it,+ a BFH with a block of Wood to drive it back In........

Ayuh,.........
Atleast you got That part Right................;)

Yes, it's the motor I had in my old 78' SeaRay 20' bowrider, a 305V8 with a 4bbl, it was 198hp in 2bbl form (basically the little brother of the 350).

Yes, you're right on the "special tool"s,,,lol,,, a basic slide hammer works, (I've done it) but I've recently also heard of guys using it to put the new bearing in?

suzuki0702

Cadet

where can i find the ring gear and flywheel parts at? i need to get that done asap before winter comes around, i have no heat to change that in and dont want to be pullin the motor in the cold? ive removed the starter from the bellhousing cover and the ringear is just loose in there. now ive read that the ring gear can come separated from the actual flywheel and you may not need to buy a whole new flywheel but just have the gear reattached. ?????????

suzuki0702

Cadet

so its not a fancy schmancy flywheel? its just a standard gm flywheel? i was told theres a special fibre plate on the flywheel to keep sparks from igniting fumes in the engine box due to ignition. not a valid statement? that would be sweet if it was a standard flywheel and such. what are the chances? and also, sorry for all the questions by the way. is there a place where i can find all the part numbers for the bellows and the gimble bearing and such? is there only 2 bellows on my unit?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

i've done 3 ring gears in my short, short little life of mine... and they've all been because of bad teeth, not because 1 came off.

Here's what I'd do.... pull the flywheel and take it down to a boneyard and pick up a used one that's true and has good teeth.

Not many people have done just ring gears, you need an oxyacetylene torch, a BFH, and a peice of hardwood to get them on, and it's fairly easy to damage the teeth putting one on as well. It's not a job for the boys at meineke but maybe a veteran at a dealer or private shop.

the other thing that would make me pick up a used one is that fact that yours came off... It is highly possible that the OD of the flywheel is no longer correct, (especially if the inside of the ring gear and the outside of the flywheel were "polishing" eachother through slippage before it popped off)which would make trying to get a new ring gear on it pretty useless...

pick up a used one =)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..........

In My unbelievably Long life,............(Never expected to see 30 :D)

I've learned a few Tricks,........

For the mere pocket change,..... Buy a New Ring Gear........

It's a Chevy,..... It's either the 12", 153 tooth ring gear or the 14", 168 tooth 1......
There's Only 2 Choices......

With the Flywheel in hand,+ the New Ring Gear, head for the Kitchen, or the BBQ will work,.....
Run the Oven, or the BBQ up to Top Speed,+ set the ring gear in the Heat.......
After 15 or 20 minutes,......
Quickly pick up the ring gear,+ Drop it into place on the Flywheel that's sitting there at room temperature,.......
It'll just Fall into place....... No Beating Required.......

If the actual Flywheel is damaged as Jason notes,....
The Flywheel from a Chevy pick up, Standard transmission with be the Same as the $uper Expen$ive Mercrui$er unit......
Again,... You need to match the Diameter,... 12" or 14".......

Lastly,........
I Believe that you can find All the Parts you're asking about,.......
Right Here at iboats.com's Megamall.......
The links to your parts are at the Top of every page here............;)

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,......... They won't even send Me a Free baseball cap,........

But,........

I Still have Respect for the Folks who are paying Our rent here on the forums............;)

suzuki0702

Cadet

nice. ive gotta set of acetylne torches so ill just chery that sucker up. today i noticed that ring gear is actually broken. but ive discovered bigger problems! the motor wont turn for me. ay yi yi. im scared im going to break the main pulley bolt off in the crankshaft. ohh boy .. im sprayin oil down in the spark plug holes for the next week to see if that sucker will free up. its been sitting for 5 years so im hopin it will...lucky for me pops is a service manager at firestone so maybe he can rebuild that sucker if need be...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

ANY SBC will work, you can usually get FREE 305's when thier owners upgrade to 350's. Just make sure to swap the marine specific parts, we don't want any explosions...

Bondo

Staff member

Pull the Outdrive,.......

It may Not be the motor........

180shabah

Rear Admiral

the guy has the whole prop assembly off the boat

Drive may already be off, I hope the purchase of this boat did not involve much money.

suzuki0702

Cadet

outdrive is off. haha.. $1000 ...not shabby i guess. but should i swap motors or rebuild. rebuild cant be that bad or expensive huh? im hopin that the pistons just rusted to the cylinders and that some penetrating oil down in the plug holes frees it up some otherwise when i pull the motor i might just be pulling the whole motor. i can use any 305 and just put the water ports and such on there? wow...bit off more than i can chew. haha

JustJason

Vice Admiral

uhmmm... its your money dude... why the laugh???