Best Boat????

volpe315

Cadet
What would be considered the Cadillac of boats? Mainly family boat and used for water sports. 21' is biggest allowed on our lake. Overall best built boat and design.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Best Boat????

i bet ya get many opinions on that......in my mind. this would probably meet my criteria for comparison to a cadilac........these chriscrafts seem to be pretty snazzy boats.....

chriscraftboats.com/lancer_20_photo.aspx#

Last edited by a moderator:

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ziggy - Didn't you mean to recommend the Lancer '22' ??

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

It would be easier to get bat's to fly in formation than get a majority conclusion but Colbalt bleong's here

seattleboat.com/PowerBoat%20220%202003.pdf?cid=64

cobaltboats.com/configurator.aspx

When gas hit's 1.50 a gallon Gunner's a owner....;)

Last edited by a moderator:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I love the Lancer and Launch series, but with the limit of 21 ft. and because of the water sports comment, Cobalt. If any of you would put a tower on a Lancer, I'd . . . well . . . I'd . . . uh . . . have to know your address to do what I would do :eek:

ziggy

Admiral

that, i can't do. i don't have any experiece with it man. sorry. i'm just sayin that'd be my cadilac of boats if i was out spendin 50k plus or minus. last boat show in omaha i went to the criss craft was the only boat there that appealed to me. very solid feelin boat. very nice finish even though i didn't like the cream color, top of the line hardware, upulstry like no other in the show. mighty plush feelin. nothin else really stood out more than that chris craft. probably because it was the only non bow rider there. bow riders are just a dime a dozen in my mind. everyones got one. and they all look pretty much the same to me. i'm really from the 4k aristocraft crowd. but i like to dream too, :)....i don't mind bein of the aristocraft crowd though. it works for me. i'm pretty unique. had me another compliment today. from another baja owner......go figure....

If any of you would put a tower on a Lancer, I'd . . . well . . . I'd . . . uh . . . have to know your address to do what I would do :eek:
i hear that. that'd be pretty much..........criminal..........

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

deck boat. i have a 1999 Chris Craft 230 5.7 Volvo penta SX. super great boat. find something similar, in the 21 foot range.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, several Fords and Chebbys named above. Good boats, but not the cream of the crop.

Cadillac? How about Grady White, Everglades, Parker?

Mercedes? That would be Boston Whaler.

QC

Supreme Mariner

He's not asking for a fishing boat, JB. The guy wants to look bitchen at the lake.

I'd say that a Whaler is a Unimog if we need to stay in the Mercedes family . . . ;) OK, maybe you can make a case that it's an Escalade, but I think utilitarian perfection when I think whaler, definitely not luxury . . .

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Far as design and quality, Cobalt and Chris Craft set the benchmark. Search the internet and you will see these two boats come up time after time.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

that, i can't do. i don't have any experiece with it man. sorry.

LOL I was just kiddin' cause your signature says 'Question Authority' so I thought you'd be recommending one foot over the lake limits.

tommays

Admiral

Cobalt :D unless you got real money then get a Hinckley

Tommays

volpe315

Cadet

Hinckley? that's a yacht I need 21 foot family boat used for water sports swimming off the back end and taking joy rides. Oh yea and to look bitchen on the lake. Also not far for from the Mississippi river was thinking of taking a little trip and getting the boat out of the lake and having a little change of scenery.

Also that Hinckley jetstick looks awesome

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

A different approach ... why does your Caravelle not measure up for this?

Kelly

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Definitely Cobalt. I used to work at a Cobalt dealership that also handled Starcraft, Sunbird, Boston Whaler and Grady White. Boston Whaler at the time seemed to have a quality dip (when Reebok owned them). I was lean and lanky at the time and was often tabbed to help with rigging stuff - feeding wires, etc. and I was amazed at the quality of finish in the blind spots on the Cobalts. Every carpet edge was finished - not hacked off. Every fiberglass surface was finished - others would be just bare glass surface. Every wire was neatly clipped in place the full length of its run from motor to dash - nothing loose or dangling, even in the blind spots that most people would never see. Attention to detail was as close to perfection as you could ever hope to see...
- Scott

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was amazed at the quality of finish in the blind spots on the Cobalts.
This is why I always say Cobalt, in fact it IS the difference between an OK boat and a great boat. For example, on the surface, Chaparral's are very nice, get below and you better watch your hands if you are reaching into any blind spots. You're likely to need some band aids . . . maybe stitches :eek: Ouch!

We have some great custom builders here that are as good. Hallett, is my personal favorite. If you want to look really bitchen . . . ;) 210S

210dash1.jpg

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed, those Halletts are very, very cool. Funny thing, on the message board for BrandC some years back there was a discussion of these west coast customs like Hallett. Specifically how high quality they are. So a guy who started out shopping for a BrandC bowrider was persuaded to take a demo ride in an Ultra. He then went online to flame the Ultra for being a really inferior boat because it didn't have as much onboard storage as a BrandC bowrider. Some folks have some funny ideas about what the definition of quality is ...

Kelly

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah Kelly some people are just confused. There is a wide variety of Custom builder quality though too. I'd put Hallett and Howard on top, DCB very close, followed by Eliminator. Carrera used to be very strong, but they are now owned by Aftershock and I just don't get the warm and fuzzies anymore. Sleek/Magic probably belongs up there too. Nordic and Ultra are pretty good, but Ultra has not completely lived down everything from some past shenanigans. Commander is trying, but they have to shake a real spotty quality reputation. Essex is very good too.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

That's alright QC. Since I'm here in Phoenix I'm a Kachina fan. :D I've been told it's something in our water ....

Seriously, I'd be happy with about any of them.

Kelly