Water tell-tale? have pic, 1976 Johnson 55, 55EL76E

RavenTai

Cadet
Picked up a 15' 1976 Fleetwing tri-hull a few weeks ago, the engine had stopped running on him, I got it running but have not yet put it in the water,

I have never owned a boat before, I have been relying heavily on some buddies that know more about boats than I but none seam certain where the tell tale is suppose to be and why cold water along with hot is coming out of the foot.

trying to determine if I need to do the water pump before going on its maiden test run or if it can wait for after,

when I run it water comes out many places, not sure witch are correct and their meanings, the engine head stays relatively cool (compared to an automotive engine) , I can hold my finger on it for a few seconds without a pain, maybe 130-140 F?,

cold water goes in 4 screened holes on each side from the muff, when running a substantial amount of cold water comes out of two holes at the front of the lower unit hidden by the lower mount, this quits when the engien is shut down.

warm water comes out an array of holes just above the cavitation plate, and out the exhaust in the center of the prop,

there are also two large slits just below the power head on the back, ocationally a drop or two will come out here,

anybody familiar with this model? witch one of these is the tell-tale? and are these places that water is coming out of the correct ones?

see pic,

Attachments

• Tell-Tale.jpg
    Tell-Tale.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 9

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water tell-tale? have pic, 1976 Johnson 55, 55EL76E

1st on a motor that has been sitting, i would automatically change the impeller, the first WOT the old one may come apart, the drip is the tale tell, also the exhaust relief port when idleing. you should be getting more than a drip. be sure to it is much easier to use a water pump kit, as it has all the necessary rubber, especially the oring on top of the drive shaft.

RavenTai

Cadet

Ok so the tell-tale has basically no flow, I am heading to the local marine shop today to get a throttle cable, hopefully he has a pump kit also.

do you know if there is suppose to be cold water coming out of the front of the foot?

I don't think it has been sitting for too long, but no idea when the water pump was last changed.

angus63

Captain

I do not believe you have a telltale on a 1976 model. Cooling water and exhaust will mix and will come out thru the prop exhaust only when on muffs (easiest path). When lower unit is submerged, the slits (idle relief holes) will exhaust with cooling water mixed because of the back pressure created by submerging the prop. While underway, the majority of the exhaust and cooling water will go thru the prop because of the increased exhaust pressure overcomes the back pressure of the submerged lower unit.
CHANGE the impeller now if you do not know how long it's been!!!!!!
Cheap insurance.....
Good luck

RavenTai

Cadet

throttle cable is installed, and he had a water pump kit at a good price too, came with housing and all, right now fixing the......tilt lock? what do you call the bits the keep then outboard tilted up? need it up to remove the foot, should have the pump changed by tonight barring any problems

I guess with a known good pump I will see what it does and then I'll know what kind of tell tale I have.

Nobody has this model? is it rare? the shop was thin on parts for this one. had to do a lot of digging in the barn outback. said he did not see them much.

cooltimbers

Cadet

I have a 1976 55 HP Evinrude (mdl 55673E), and it does NOT have a telltale.

I found an shop service manual on ebay and recommend you get one too.

The two "slits" you mention are an alternate exhaust port and the manual says you can expect some wate exhausting from that on startup, and that was be design.

A "rule of thumb" on these engines is that if you can touch the cyl head and keep your had there, it is cooling. If you can't keep your hand there it is NOT cooling.

I've heard that it is possible to add your own telltale by srilling into the exhaust cover.

These engines had provision to sound an audible alarm if they over heated.

Goos luck

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You cannot tell the condition of the water pump while running on muffs. The water is being forced through by hose pressure. You could take the impeller clear out of the water pump and it would still cool on muffs.

BTW, water squirts out in a dozen various places when on muffs. Doesn't mean anything except that you are putting water in. You wouldn't see all that if the boat was in the water.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a '75 Rude and it didn't have one (either) so I bored and tapped a 1/8 pipe hole in the top of the water jacket (carefully so an to not punch into the head) and installed a 5/16" hose barb with a hose to another new hole in the lower starboard cowling where I could see it from the drivers seat.............I did this AFTER I lost an engine because the stat froze shut....lived and learned.

Mark

RavenTai

Cadet

got it done late last night,

After having the foot off I have a better understanding, I guess I was picturing it like a car engine, distinct manifolds and hoses that go to specific places with no leaks, in this thing there is a lot of water and exhaust freely moving around in big open spaces as they please.

The impeller was in decent shape no cracks or tears or anything but the lower and upper plates the impeller rode on were deeply scored,

After putting it back together water comes out of the same places but there seams to be more of it, so this engine does not have a tell-tale. I am glad to have done it anyway, now I know.

I think the engine is ready for the water, now just need to spend today on trailer lights and boat electrical and i should be at the local lake next week. :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Great and welcome to Iboats. You can still put in a tell tale if you want.

Mark