Gearcase removal on a 9.8 hp Model 110

I'm thinking i have some gearcase issues with a Model 110 9.8 outboard i purchased at a garage sale the other day. I took the impeller off and it was horrible, all cracked and broken. I was told by the previous owner that the motor had gear case problems, but i'm not sure if it does or not, so i'd like to take a look in there.

Is there any way to tell if it does or not, without running the engine? When i engage F or R and pull the cord, it doesn't seem to really catch, but i'm not sure if the motor has to be running to really test it.

Also, are there any online part diagrams like Evinrude and Johnson have?

Thanks for the help!

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Gearcase removal on a 9.8 hp Model 110

www.mercruiserparts.com has exploded diagrams for older mercuries. You need to find the serial number and then a guide for serial numbers. I used to know where those guides are, but I've forgotten. Maybe there's a chart or link at mercruiserparts.com

If you follow the link "scan with pictures" you can choose 110 then the serial number range for your engine.

If you haven't found it, your motor's serial number should be on metal plate on the transom mount somewhere (in front?) and also in the powerhead casting.

Last edited: