Wet lower unit

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I figured I'd have this thing completely apart sooner or later......

Basket case 1990 120 L- Drive. Put the power head together and seems to run OK. Before starting, the lower unit oil was OK (I think). After running for about 5 minutes in a tub, water was pumping, but had a leak in the lower exhaust hose. While I'm down there checking it out, i decide to change the lower oil. Pull the plug and a BUNCH of water (a cup or two) comes out before the oil!! I guess I'll just pull the lower unit and see what I find..
Any experience here??
Thanks,
Steve

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wet lower unit

Fill screw gasket, the little round teflon or plastic seal on the screws or the screws were not tight or the seals in the LU leaking.

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

check shift rod and the drive shaft seals after removing lower unit from rest of motor

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whew!!!I guess it was just the fill (or vent) screw gasket!

I pulled the lower unit, admired the new water pump the PO had put on, then did a pressure test. It holds pressure great! Shifted through forward/reverse, rotated every thing....still at 11 lbs!

Any other ways water could have gotten in??

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was the gasket showing any sign of being the culprit? or was the screw loose?

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

That seems to be the number one problem if it wasent leaking before the gear lub was checked or replaced. I'am glad that was it and not the seals.