2002 Mercury 50 HP 2 Stroke Carb Questions

I recently purchased a used pontoon boat with a 2002 Mercury 50 HP 2 stroke. Yesterday I removeded the cover to check the plugs after a weekend of boating and noticed that all 3 carbs had an open threaded hole. Standing on the left side of the motor (when facing it from the rear) there are screws with springs over them and right next to each of them there is an empty threaded hole. I can't help but think there should be something threaded in them. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2002 Mercury 50 HP 2 Stroke Carb Questions

I presume you do not have a shop manual for your motor, as it would most likely show the parts diagram for your motor. As an alternative, check the Mercury Parts Express website and look up the parts diagram for your motor. That will show you what would go there, if anything.

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/HomePage/homepage.asp

No, I don't have a manual (One will be on order soon) and the Mercury site does not help. Any other suggestions anyone?

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am just curious why the Mercury Parts Express site does not help you. You have a recent year model and so your motor should be listed on the site. All you need is the motor's serial number to find the correct parts diagrams and parts list. I would conclude that if the parts diagram does not show a part mounted on the carb at the location you are talking about, then no part belongs there. If the parts diagram on the Mercury site does not help you, the same parts diagram in the shop manual may not help either.

Just trying to be helpful... Of course, you might get an answer from someone that has or knows about your particular motor, which could be more definitive.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nothing belongs in those holes. Do not plug them.

Thank you very much for the help!

Any idea of why they are there? They are threaded, possible for a different application?

Thanks again.