Tilt trim locked up

h2ogun

Cadet
In lake today, could not get my engine to trim. It was stuck in full down position. Loaded it on the boat, and finally to get engine up to transport disconnected both lines running into the pump and lifted engine by hand . Engine is 1983 200HP, What is wrong, and what do I need to do to repair.

Last edited:

Laddies

Banned
Re: Tilt trim locked up

Is the pump running we need to know so as we don't know if the problem is electrical or hyd.

h2ogun

Cadet

The pump responds (motor activation) when the trim switch is moved in either direction, but no acuation of the ram on the engine

Laddies

Banned

200HP of that range used a couple different systems the first had a onboard mounted pump the newer the pump was mounted outside in the transom bracket. first ck the fluid level next make sure the tilt release has not come loose if you get no movement at all and the pump is inboard ck for a line leak and if it's a bracket mounted pump it may have a o ring blown on the release screw or in the pump, and of cruse the could be a leaky Cly on either system but the usually go bad over a period of time

h2ogun

Cadet

Thanks Laddies,
I did much more to get to know the tilt system today and found a plug and dip stick. The reservoir was out of fluid. Filled it, about 2/3 qt, and the system worked good after letting the system ?purge?, you are correct that the pump (and reservoir)was mounted inside, by the main battery (91 Sprint). I was not thinking and did not realize the system would have a storage container (as would most hydraulic systems). I had checked the ram seal, lines and connections, and in the 4 years I have had the boat, had no leaks and unknowing never checked for a way to check the fluid level. For others who may learn from this, the system needs to be checked on some type of regular basis. I am thinking yearly. My only confusion at this point is where is the fluid going, with what I am sure is no leakage? :)