RPM below 2000 (Yamaha 225)

Nellie's Owner

Recruit
Hello All,
I am brand new to the forum and could really use some help with this problem. I have a 1990 20 ft Ranger with same year 225 ETLD Yamaha outboard. I have had problems since the steering cables broke this past Memorial Day. I also had the throttle cable going bad as well back then but did not know it readily. The carbs were not opening all the way and the same travel was not evident on the control lever.
I performed a compression check back then just to make sure I was not investing money in something with major problems. I have replaced steering system and both shift and throttle cables. Next trip out, the motor would only idle and would roar/rev high and loud when trying to plane or accelerate. Turns out the prop hub was spun and nothing was hit with the motor. I can only assume that a 18 year old prop will just go out.
I got a replacement prop and sent mine out for rehub but have not gotten it back. Last weekend, the motor would only make around 1700 RPM and would not put the boat on plane. I had also replaced the spark plugs but never got the chance to do a spark check on the coils or the plugs.
This thing is acting like it has gone into protect mode in case of low oil in main tank. I have not gotten any beeping from the horn nor did I notice any lights on the guage. Is it possible that some wiring has been pulled loose during all of this cable routing? And, is it possibly for the protection limiting RPM is activated with no alarm or low oil level light? And, I guess my last question would be to ask if Murphy is still just plaguing me,LOL?

P.S. I am an aircraft electrical engineer and actually rebuilt this engine some time back. I can certainly help others in many and most cases. My problem here is that I am a 5 hour drive from the boat and cannot troublshoot it properly with other things going on when I visit my parents. I have the boat stored there while I am working contract away from Florida. I would love to get my Dad out fishing a couple of times befoer winter hits in W.V. Sorry to be so long winded. Please help if possible.