Questions for a 198? 125 force OB

snotrocket

Cadet
Hello all I just jumped ship from the omc/io forums and am looking at a 1988 bayliner trophy with a 125 force OB can you guys chime in and advice me on what to check out on a water test ride before I buy thanks in advance ........

what should the compression range be per cylinder

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Questions for a 198? 125 force OB

I just did an 84 Capri/85Hp Force evaluation today. Compression was in the 150 psi ballpark, but that's with the shop tester that I know reads way high. You want the readings to be within 10-15% of eachother. Make sure you have good spark on all four, and check the gearlube. Look at the powerhead and check for discolored or bubbled paint, melted wires, or any other sign of a previous overheat. Make sure water is spraying out the back when it's running in the water. Top speed should be in the upper 30s/lower 40s, and full throttle RPMs should be 5200-5500RPMs. Make sure the transom and floor are solid on the boat. Make sure the steering isn't stiff, and make sure the boat systems work (lights, horn, etc.). We check used boats for customers frequently. It's usually an hour labor and maybe fresh gearlube and sparkplugs while we're at it. A wise investment.

MikDee

Banned

Well thanks for the Great "heads up" Willy, wish I had this info before I bought my boat.

snotrocket

Cadet

Anyone know how much wood is covered with glass Transom & Floors look like solid fiberglass there is only wood trim, My last boat had a lot of wood and a lot or dry rot trying to avoid that mess again boat is a 1988 21ft trophy no walk around but has a nice cabin and soft top

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone know how much wood is covered with glass Transom & Floors look like solid fiberglass there is only wood trim, My last boat had a lot of wood and a lot or dry rot trying to avoid that mess again boat is a 1988 21ft trophy no walk around but has a nice cabin and soft top

The transom and floors (and stringers) are all glass covered wood and on that model known for rotting. I would check the transom and see if there is a screw down low on the outside(like for a pitot tube of depthfinder transducer) that you can remove to check for water. Also if the floors seem soft or spongy at all, run, don't walk, away from it !!!!

gotboostedvr6

Petty Officer 1st Class

^ that is good advice but ill take it farther. because i own a bayliner im going to tell you not to even bother with it. it will have a rotten core, soft transom, and the motor is trash.

if you want me to get into detail email me gotboostedeg@gmail.com

Bigprairie1

Commander

^ that is good advice but ill take it farther. because i own a bayliner im going to tell you not to even bother with it. it will have a rotten core, soft transom, and the motor is trash.

if you want me to get into detail email me gotboostedeg@gmail.com

.....looks like someone didn't do a very good job of checking out there own boat's history before they bought it? Those comments require a pretty big paint brush.

A lot of these boats and motors are still providing people with reliable boating out there VR.......not everyone bought junk.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it looks like I got one thats good. I have a Bayliner and love the boat,been in some nasty seas out in the gulf of mexico and it rode 6 footers very well. I did replace the floor and checked the transom. Transom is sound ,its a 86 capri with a 125 force. I was most concerned with the motor,hearing the war stories about them. A well maintained Force is as good as any in my thinking. The one thing the other owner did was keep the 125 in great condition, has 150 all the way down. The boat was first run as a ski boat and not much. Then it was a ski and just sightseeing boat and again not abused. The owner of this boat went to prison for drugs and his sister brought it to Mississippi. She then got on drugs and I got the boat as it set in my yard for 3 years. I call it the drug boat,Coast Guard seem to get a kick out of that. LOL

I think its all in how one maintains there boat and motor. Its best to check them out as much as possible to avoid getting one that has been abused or not maintained in a proper way. If you have the boat now and are somewhat stuck with it most problems are easley fixed with a manual and the people on this forum, and money ,how much depends on you.

Bayliner glassed the floors on there boats but used untreated plywood and the glass did not cover all the wood. This allows water to seep into the wood and make it rot. Transoms get wet due to the holes drilled for motor mounts and other items like transducers for the depth finders and what ever else.

If you suspect a bad transom dont bother with the boat unless you have a lot of money to spend. I guess I was just lucky.

snotrocket

Cadet

thanks for all the help and no i didnt buy her or even see her yet Sunday I get to see her and run her on the water how should i go about checking the transom and floors ? Jump push pull bring a fat friend to walk on floors ??
just dont want another boat I spend more time working on and less fishing time ...

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't have a fat friend maybe you could put some lead in your pockets!:D

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

First look at the carpet, then walk on the floor,if it feels like jell-o it needs replaceing . Check transom by tilting the motor up and pulling on the motor and see how much it moves. If there is a hole in the outside of the transom or a screw pull it out and look to see if it is wet.If no hole look inside under the wet well, Look for cracks in the glass and wet oozeing areas. Look all around the transom for cracks in the glass,wet well,where the motor is bolted up and such. get as much info as you can on how the motor was maintained. If the guy tells you he would run the motor "dry" to remove fuel for long term storage you may have scuffing or more to one cylender as one will get drug before the other ones run dry. If there isnt any fuel in the cylender but the other are still running there isnt any oil getten in there as well. NOT A GOOD THING.

Good Luck

gotboostedvr6

Petty Officer 1st Class

if youve ever taken apart a force/usmarine/mercury marine (force) you wouldnt speak of them so proudly.

some issue you would notice
thin needle bearings, thin crnak journels, improperly spaced ports, cheap electronics, smaller then the norm mounts, and not to mention the lowerunit. < unless its a merc unit