Pulling a pontoon boat

lou_ky_it

Cadet
Ok, most of you that have pontoon boats know that the gas mileage while pulling it really is bad (truck normally get's about 18 miles to a gallon, down to 9 or 10 when pulling pontoon) I pull it with the cover on the playpen and that helps a little, was wondering if anyone has ever tried to make something to get somemore aerodynmics to the front of the pontoon? I have about 2 feet to play with in front of the playpen. If this has been asked before, please point me to the thread so I can see the answers (-:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pulling a pontoon boat

Years ago on my first pontoon, it had the 2' area in front of the playpen. It had short rails at the front of the boat. At the time I had an old pickup truck that had limited power. So I used a 2 1/2' X 7' piece of 5/8" plywood across the front, which I angled from those short railings in the front up to the top of the playpen rails. Worked very well and made it MUCH easier to pull on the highway. Can't remember how I tied it to the playpen rails at the time, but it was quick and easy. Looked like the drawing below...

Attachments

• toon break.JPG
    toon break.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

put a topper with a spoiler, on the truck.

lou_ky_it

Cadet

I have a topper, but no spoiler on it, might be able to get a spoiler though. As to the wedge in the front of the playpen, I'm going to have to give that a try, have a design in mind that will hopefully cover the whole front of the playpen, if it works I'll post pictures and drawing of the design.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you thinkyou have drag problems, try towing this, 5000 lb monster, i put a spoiler on the top rear of the surburban.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

T-daddy where is the pic of the 5000lb monster?

-Nate