One more gear lube question

littlemess

Seaman Apprentice
One more gear lube question. I changed it yesterday. 79 Evinrude 25 hp. Last night I was reading the FAQ's and other lower unit strings on this website. Lots of references to "type C" for outboards of my era. Now I wondering if the lube I used will suffice? This is what I used, as described directly from the packaging.

CRC
HYPOID 90
Lower Unit
Gear Lube

SAE 80W90
API GL-5

For Outboard Lower Units
and Stern Drives

Also, on the back is says: "Will not void manufacturers' warranties. Meets performance requirements for Mercury, Johnson, Evinrude and OMC."

Do you think this is adequate? Or should I drain it and try to find "TYPE C" to put into it?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: One more gear lube question

Thats what i used
to use in my old Cobra drive.That is probably fine.The CRC is a direct replacement for OMC hi-vis

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class

The lube you have is the right stuff. Type C gear lube, also called Premium Blend if you buy the OMC brand, is for electric shift motors larger than yours built 1972 and earlier. Make sure you change the seals on the upper and lower drain/fill plugs.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There was a time in history where Type C was the only oil OMC sold. Then they changed the name to Premium blend. Then they added Hi-Vis, but had to keep the Premium Blend for the electric shifts. Bottom line: You only need Type C or Premium Blend for electric shift motors.