passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to
allow veterans and servicemen not in uniform to salute the flag. Current
law
(US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and servicemen not in
uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether
they can or should salute the flag.

"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's
military service," Senator Inhofe said. "Veterans and service members
continue representing the military services even when not in uniform.
Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and
service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My
legislation
will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and servicemen alike to
salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not. I look forward to
seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball games, parades,
and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and
recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in
the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those who are
currently serving or have served in the military have earned this right,
and
their recognition will be an inspiration to others."

This Bill was passed July 25, 2007.

Let your veteran friends and service members know about the Passage of this
Bill.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Vets, new law on saluting

I guess that makes me legal. I also salute members of our uniformed services when I meet them.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Thank you for posting that. I prefer the salute over the hand over heart method.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have continued to salute (when proper) even as a retired soldier no longer in uniform. I have saluted many other service people and the flag. I have not encountered any politicians since my retirement who deserve one unless I use it as a sign of respect for former service people. I can hear the incoming rounds now..... if I ever meet John McCain I would render him a salute..... Good law to pass.

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too have always continued to salute....from my days in the Navy, and the last 20 yrs as a Scout Master.........

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

good post anyone that has served should have the right to salute the flag and others that served or are serving . I think the troops deserve respect from the former soldiers to show we still care even though we no longer serve . just my opinion.

waterinthefuel

Commander

I don't think there should be a law on saluting, if you want to salute our flag, go right on ahead.

woodrat

Ensign

I don't think there should be a law on saluting, if you want to salute our flag, go right on ahead.

I'm with you on this one.. I didn't even know there was a law about how and who should/could salute the flag...

??

ricksrster

Commander

Proir rules for Saluting the Flag

salute_woman_hat.jpg
To salute the flag, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute as specified by the uniform service. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over their hearts. Men wearing a head cover (a hat, cap or other headwear) are to remove it. Women may wear a head covering.

In parades or reviews, at the moment the flag passes, each individual should stand at attention facing the flag and salute.

The Flag of the United States is saluted as it is hoisted and lowered. The salute is held until the flag is unsnapped from the halyard or through the last note of the national anthem; whichever is the longest.

When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute, by placing their right hand over the heart, at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music. If in uniform, the person should salute in the formal manner. It is proper to salute wherever the national anthem is played, for instance, on a college campus, in a public park, in a church, at a ball game, sports event, etc.
When, on U.S. soil, the national anthem of more than one nation is played, the visitors’ national anthems are played first, and may or may not be followed by our National Anthem. During the visitors’ anthems, all present should stand at attention and face the flags of the nations (or the music, if they are not present). Men not in uniform should remove their hats as well.
We contacted the Institute of Heraldry (Army) regarding the rendering of a salute during anthems of other nations. They did not have an official answer to this question but commented that they felt it would be appropriate for U.S. citizens to salute only during the playing of our National Anthem. We concur with that recommendation.
To salute a flag in a moving column, it is proper to start the salute as the flag enters your position and end when it is past.

When the Pledge of Allegiance is recited, citizens should stand at attention and salute by placing their right hand over the heart with the first word and hold the salute through the last line of the Pledge. The salute is directed to the flag by facing the flag during the Pledge.

salute_uniform.jpg

salute_man_hat.jpg

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I'm glad he got that straightened out for all of us little people that were in the dark. I have always saluted the flag as I saw fit which is the military way {cause I was a squid}. I didn't know I needed anybodys permission to use that method and I use the same method whether I'm wearing a hat or not...ANIMAL :D P.S. I think hes bucking for votes come relection time. And I'm from Oklahoma.

woodrat

Ensign

I was an Eagle scout, but anymore I don't recite anyone's loyalty oath...