Trigger keeps blowing out. Help!

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 1985 merc outboard 135 v6. found the trigger bad first time, Replaced it, it ran for 2 days and the trigger blew out again. Any reason for this?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Trigger keeps blowing out. Help!

I've never hear of that problem, all they are is a small winding that go to opposite switch boxes, all that I know that could burn out a winding would be a short and that very unlikely as the wires are new with the trigger that only leaves a bad bias in one of the switch boxes. How are you testing the system to determine whats wrong with it

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

turned out to be the stator, at least for now that in know. I only have solec manual and it says i have a voltage regulator, I cant find one anywhere on the dam thing

Laddies

Banned

It depends on your serial number they used 2 differant regulators the early one use a rectifier with 2 wires jumping it to regulator latter they went to a large single regulator. Just follow the 2 yellow wires from the stator and you will find it.

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Figure it doesn't have one then. Its been running great. Now It likes to overheat at idle. One guy said they do that. it makes me nervous

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Heating at an idle is NOT normal, it is time to start checking your water pump, transfer tube seals, and t-stat.

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this motor has a t-stat? impeller is fairly new. what water hoses?