$200 Starcraft - should I get it? (pictures)

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer
I posted another thread on the fiberglass boat I got for (basically) free with a good 60hp Mercury. Problem is, gelcoat on the hull is shot from years of sitting in the water, and I've discovered 2 soft spots in the floor and 1 in the transom. Many suggested I find another hull. This'll be my first real boat.

This '79 Starcraft 18'6" is $200 and comes with the trailer. Previous owner put a floor on top of the existing rotted one, and the transom shows rot around the edges. Transom's been reinforced with 3/4" aluminum stock. I've read the floor and transom on these are not TOO hard to replace, and I like the idea of an aluminum hull. The trailer is for a bass boat, but looks like it'll work for this V-hull.

It'll need:
Bottom paint (it's flaking off)
New transom
New floor
New seats
Controls and engine from my other boat
Maybe new windshield (it doesn't look like it fits right)

My questions are -
1) Will a 60hp push this boat? It'll be used for tubing/skiing and island hopping.
2) Is it worth the work and money (vs a fiberglass boat)? It looks like Starcrafts have a somewhat loyal following due to their aluminum construction.

He says he's about to take a sawzall to it and take it down to the recycling center for scrap aluminum. At $0.40/lb, he'd get $200 either way. I hate to see it scrapped, but I really only have room for this thing if it'll be seaworthy in a few months.

Attachments

• 09-03-07_1804.jpg
    09-03-07_1804.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 09-03-07_1805.jpg
    09-03-07_1805.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 09-03-07_1806.jpg
    09-03-07_1806.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 09-03-07_1807.jpg
    09-03-07_1807.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 09-03-07_1812.jpg
    09-03-07_1812.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0

iwombat

Captain
Re: $200 Starcraft - should I get it? (pictures)

I just did similar work to a '78. You can see what I managed to capture here:
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,372,00.html

The floor sits on aluminum stringers, and transoms on aluminum boats aren't very hard to do.

I think 60hp is going to be a little small if you want to ski and tube. That hull is rated for 150hp. I think 115 is as small as you'll want to go if you're pulling skiers. I've got an 85hp on mine and it cruises along at 35mph on the GPS, but takes a bit to get there.

If the hull is in good shape $200 is a good buy. Peel the interior and floor out. Replace any rivets that look suspicious and give it a good coat of gluvit. Then, put the new floor in. You'll have a new boat for under $1k.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replaced the floor and transon in my '86 Starcraft. You probably do it in a couple weeks if you just attacked it. I took 6 months. I wasn't in a hurry, and got side tracked on other projects while I was tearing everything apart.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you don't take it, tell me where it is and i'll come get it. i could do that boat in a week or so. 1 day to strip. transom 1 day, floor 2 days. rerig 2 days. of course i've done my share.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That boat is definitely worth saving! I had a 16-foot Super Sport (basically your boat's little brother) and it needed the floor done. Took me a weekend to do it and another weekend to make it pretty. The transom is a bit more involved, but not much. Much easier than a fiberglass boat...

I also concur on the need for more power - sell the 60 and get something at least 85hp. I have a 90hp on my 18-foot fiberglass Starcraft and it does alright. If all you do is cruise about, then 85-100 would be fine. If you're into water sports, etc., then 115-150 would be a better fit.

As for the windshield - that's the original one. You may find it fits better once the floor is redone as the consoles sit on the floor and where they sag, the windshield sags.

- Scott

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get it and try the 60. If it doesn't do what you want get a bigger motor. Just my opinion.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

ugh - now I just found 2 other boats... One that's running and in the water for $450 (15' fiberglass, with trailer), and another one with no interior for $150 (15' fiberglass w/ trailer & 75hp chrysler).

Looks like the boating season here is slowing down; lots of deals out there. Too bad I don't have room for maybe 2 at a time, or I'd collect them all. Guess I'll have to make a decision here shortly.

The 60hp Merc I have has been rebuilt, and runs well (in a bucket at least, I haven't taken it out yet).

Looks like I'll be "rebuilding" any boat I get. I guess my question is.... if you had it to do all over again (your first project), would you hold out for an aluminum boat, or take your chances with a fiberglass hull? Are they really that much better?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Go with the StarCraft. It will be much easier to replace the floor and transom than the fiberglass boats.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

just a little bit on the starcraft I have a 1963 holiday with a 75 rude . it does good pulling tubes and if the skier knows how to get up it will pull them just fine .this was my first boat and first attempt with replacing floors took me a weekend to do i haven't done a transom but so far everything seems pretty easy with the aluminum hull .just my thoughts.

mulliganmagic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 15' fiberglass starcraft capri and when I bought it without an engine the transom had been redone by the previous owner for $800. I then had to use two large kits of get rot and fiberglass on the floor. I would definately say that redoing an aluminum boat would be an easier and much more budjet friendly task.

bwingler

Seaman

You have a great find, i am in Acworth, not far from you. PM and we will swap phone numbers I will help as much as i can. I am working on two right now. May sell the thunderhawk and keep the reinell

Barry

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as i said tell me where it is. the project is easy compared to a glass boat.

erikgreen

Captain

Do what I did - buy all three and decide later which one to keep :) :)

Seriously, I'd go with the aluminum hull before the glass ones... worth more in the long run, and more durable too.

Erik

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I think the old man is just trying to force you to buy it in saying he's going to take it to scrap! Just my opinion. No idiot on his worse day would scrap a boat that floats. He just wants to move it, and he knows you will buy it if you think he is going to scrap it. ;) Offer him $150, and if he doesn't take it then walk away. You could easily spend $800 in no time on that boat. Then, if he doesn't take it save your chips. You never know what you'll run across in November and December when the weather cools.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I guess I'm going to pick it up. He had a 115hp engine on it, and he said the transom was solid with it on there. I guess I could put my 60hp on it and get the rest of this season out of it, and keep my eye open this winter for another engine while the transom and floor's replaced.

If anything, I'll pick it up and if I never get around to finishing it, I'll offer it up here for what I paid for it. It's hard to pass up a good deal, even though it'll be a lot of work.

erikgreen

Captain

I'm about to scrap two of the aforementioned three boats, and they float (although they are missing engines now, and some hardware).

Old fiberglass boats are a lot of work to restore, and sometimes they just aren't worth working on. I can't give away the hulls either - tried that.

Erik

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did a 76 super sport a couple years ago, its an easy job and it makes a nice solid boat that isn't heavy to tow and doesn't need a big engine. I pull skiers and tubes with 70 hp, with 2 people on board it will run around 35mph. your 60 horse should be fine if you don't need to pull 200lb slalom skiers.

Good Luck

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

I did a 76 super sport a couple years ago, its an easy job and it makes a nice solid boat that isn't heavy to tow and doesn't need a big engine. I pull skiers and tubes with 70 hp, with 2 people on board it will run around 35mph. your 60 horse should be fine if you don't need to pull 200lb slalom skiers.

Good Luck

Sweet! I like that 60hp - I would guess it'd use less gas than a larger motor, has tilt/trim, and supposedly has been rebuilt. I'll keep my eye open for a larger motor. We would only be tubing - don't know anyone who skis, but that could change.

I'm picking it up this afternoon - thanks for the input guys. (now I have to find a home for my junk fiberglass hull).

bwingler

Seaman

i may be interested in the junked hull being mine is bad also. contact me at bvwingler@comcast.net i am in acworth

Should have checked my pm first, great talking with ya. Just holler when your ready for the cherry picker

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

if you don't take it, tell me where it is and i'll come get it. i could do that boat in a week or so. 1 day to strip. transom 1 day, floor 2 days. rerig 2 days. of course i've done my share.

Can you come do mine? Please?

Great hull for $200. I've got pretty much the same and need to pull the floor, gluvit and re-foam then put the floor back down.

Trying to figure out an underdeck fuel tank and a hardtop at the same time.