Mercruiser 260 HP Fuel Problems

Cpt Landlocked

Recruit
Got the boat on the water this weekend after replacing the head gaskets, cleaning out the exhaust risers, new bellows, shift cable and bearing, new plugs, new distributor cap and rotor, and changing the oil. I honestly believe the previous two owners just drove the boat and when it broke down they parked it until they could sell it.

Well this weekend it was running well, after a fun time adjusting the valves and timing. All day Sunday it ran fine, still running hot, but that will be corrected with Stainless steel exhaust manifolds and risers (don't see another way since it was previously a saltwater boat), but we were taking it easy and watching the temp gauge very carefully. It ran well then Sunday night we idled to a stop and anchored for about an hour and it would not start again. It appears to be getting fuel as when we pump the throttle you see a squirt of fuel within the carburetor throat, but it either seems alternately flooded or starved for fuel. It would start for about 3 to 4 seconds then die.

It appears to be a 2 barrel carb. It is a 5.7L GM 350 and appears to be a 2002 crate engine, the former owner just can't remember when the bought it exactly. It has an electric choke which doesn't appear to work at all.

One other thing. I have an oil pressure safety switch that is to shut the fuel pump off when the pressure is too low. I got a new switch and installed it but it still won't allow the fuel pump to start. I have to bypass the switch to get it to start/run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.