Problem after Sea foam

ronrobbie7

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 mercruiser 5.0 w/alpha 1. I thought it would benefit from a decarb because of the age and I doubt the previous owner had done it, and I have used it on my outboard with much success. After decarbing I took it to the lake the next day. Now at WOT I have knocking sound comming from engine, but it seems to be running better than before decarb( idle and acceleration). What is the first thing I should check to fix my problem. I also put the rest of the sea foam in the tank. Thanks for any help.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Problem after Sea foam

i did me some seasnakefoam down the carb the other day. maybe i didn't know how to apply it. i did it at warm idle. near choked it to stall. i ain't been happy with the way it's runnin since. seems like something is up now. personally, i'm goin for checkin ign. electrical, then compression, the maybe my carb if i still ain't happy. we'll see. i didn't dump the rest in my fuel tank. though i thought about it. maybe i just need to add some more.....but snakefoam may not be the thing for me..........generally, i don't believe in snakeoil.......it's just a mask for a real problem.

ronrobbie7

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking about starting with the spark plugs first myself and then ??

ziggy

Admiral

sounds like a good place to start to me. many other places to look too though......

JustJason

Vice Admiral

look at the engine oil... make sure it's not to thin/smells like fuel/looks like water...etc.. if it does... change it.
2nd.... need to put a stethoscope on it to pinpoing the knokkkers...
3rd..... most sterndrives/4strokes rarely need to be decarbed

ronrobbie7

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I'll change oil and plugs and see if it goes away.

ronrobbie7

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure if I mentioned that there was no knocking before the seafoam decarb.