Convert Garage to room

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Getting ready or want to convert my attached garage to living quarters/hot tub room.
Concrete in floor with block walls about 1/4 way up.
Best to use to cover up hole where garage door is now.
I want to take it down and out of there.
Help and suggestions.
Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Convert Garage to room

Since it is probably a concrete floor.... I would put in a double sill plate and anchor it (drill into the concrete use hammer in anchors) and build the wall up like a normal wall..... possible a pre-hung window or two.

I have my hot tub in an unheated room. I placed linoleum on the floor and have the walls lightly insulated. I know my winters are slightly tougher (colder) but keeping the hot tub inside serves many purposes. It is easier to heat and no weather exposure. It makes it easier for entry and exit. I could not see the joy in shoveling snow away from the hot tub and the thought of wind and freezing rain ......

I did have to install a heavy duty 220 line out there and a separate GFIC circuit for the tub.

Install a drain connection through a wall for future draining. It can be a place where the drain hose from the hot tub can be hooked (99% of the tubs have a drain spigot) and a simple valve installed to keep it shut. Mount as low as possible so you can drain it. I siphon mine out and let it drain down hill via a window.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Might want to keep in mind that a hot tub puts out lots of moisture. A good paint that is mold and mildew resistant maybe of help.

Might also need a dehumidfier. Moisture is one of the big issues of why most people put their tubs outside. The ceiling is going to be more prone to problems since the moisture will tend to collect there. Maybe more insulation in the attic above the garage will help with the condesation there.

As for framing in the door, Bob is right on spot. Wouldn't hurt to use the greenboard drywall on the inside as it is moisture resistant. Good Luck Les

SpinnerBait_Nut

I have the tub in there now.
Has been for about 4 years or so.
I keep a de-humidifier on in there.
I have high ceiling so I don't think moisture makes it up there. Don't look like it has anyway.
Concrete floor and blocks about 1/2 way up three walls with garage door taking up the other wall.
Tub is up on flat blocks(the whole thing:eek:) now. Plan on leaving it there.
Should I brick the outside where the door is or just use white boards of some kind.
Going to install an entrance door there.

Bob_VT

Staff member

You could install a vent fan (small such as a bathroom fan) on a switch and have it vent the room. I have not found moisture to be a problem and my room has high ceilings too. Green drywall board is a good thing for unheated areas too.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I have drywall up now and I don't know if they used a moisture proof in '81 when I had the house built or not.
It did have a small wall heater in it at the time, but I removed it.

Bob_VT

Staff member

My room is regular 1/2" sheetrock. Considering the size of the room (big) moisture has never presented any problems. I just leave the door to the house open and whatever heat gets in there is fine, couple that with a constant tub of temperature of 104 (even though you can not feel any heat through the cover) and the room stays comfortable.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I have the tub in there now.
Has been for about 4 years or so.
I keep a de-humidifier on in there.
I have high ceiling so I don't think moisture makes it up there. Don't look like it has anyway.
Concrete floor and blocks about 1/2 way up three walls with garage door taking up the other wall.
Tub is up on flat blocks(the whole thing:eek:) now. Plan on leaving it there.
Should I brick the outside where the door is or just use white boards of some kind.
Going to install an entrance door there.

I would frame up the wall/door with wood studs rather than block if it was me. Preferably 2x6 for better R value insulation. Plus if you ever re-renovate or add/change a window or go to french doors, etc it's easier to change the framing.
Do you use the lower inner/underside drain for emptying the hot tub? I bought a submersible pump for mine and it does the drain/empty job in record time when its time for the clean out cycle. Plus I never have to get in under the tub with fittings etc....just food for thought.

FLATHEAD

Commander

The vent fan is a good idea. I have one right above my hotub and it vents to the outside. Really helps keep the moisture down when I use the tub.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

is'nt the floor in the garage slightly sloped to the outside..although u said u have one in there now so i guess it does not really affect its operation..i think u should have some sorta ventalation though

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You should use a humidity controlled exhaust fan. Set it up, when the humidity reaches your set point, it turns on.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... Coat all your framing with epoxy, wrap with biaxial woven roven and recoat. Use only marine ply or nyda core ....
Oh, Oh, wrong thread.
icon10.gif

SBN, post pics as you go, I'm sure many of us are interested.
A House is a never ending project.