90hp StarFlite + 100hp StarFlite bottom... Works, but some questions...

Dave_A

Seaman Apprentice
You may remember my StarFlite thread - I had a dead 100hp with a good bottom-end, and a line on a running 90hp with a bad transmission....

Well, I sucessfully did the swap... The 100 bottom-end bolts on perfectly (although it is MUCH bigger, with a MUCH bigger prop - same length, just 'thicker', and the prop is about 2x the size), they both use the same transmission wiring, and the 90 starts right up (After some fiddling with the choke at first)...

So now I have a running motor...

But I know jack**** about 2-cycle boat motors...

And this is where my questions start - I need to know if the 90 is running 'right'...

1) When I start the thing it emits a cloud of blue exhaust... If it were a 4-stroke (eg a car motor), I'd say it's burning oil.. But of course, being a 2-stroke & running on gas-oil mix, it should burn some oil, right...

Is this normal?

2) I understand that the thing is water cooled from lake water... Is it supposed to visibly squirt water out of anywhere that I can see? Right now, the only thing that comes 'out' of the hole (rubber hose... Idle relief bellows, I think???) in the leg is exhaust. However, the run-hot idiot light did not come on when I took it for a slow run (5mph or less, about 50ft from shore, in a circle, then back to the dock, revved the engine up, brought it back to idle, and shut down) around the lake...

How can I make sure the water pump is working right?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90hp StarFlite + 100hp StarFlite bottom... Works, but some questions...

Water should shoot out that hose with a great force. Sounds like you have a weak and/or failing water pump.

Have the engine NOT RUNNING but have the key in the ON position. Short out the TAN wire that is protuding from the heat sensor in the cylinder head. The overheat light should light. If it does not, find out why and correct that problem before running the engine again.

NOTE.... It would help if you stated the year of that engine.

Dave_A

Seaman Apprentice

Model: 90943S
Serial: E01446

As noted above, at idle it 'spat' drops of water out the tube (looked like it was raining lightly behind the motor)... But definately no steady stream, and lots of exhaust...

Looks like I'm going to have to drop the lower (again) and inspect the water impeller... Good thing I have 2 or 3 of them lying around....

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The water normally "blows" out the hole, not a steady stream. Also, the amount of water blowing out varies according to whether or not the thermostat is open. There should always be at least some blowing out, even when cold. The thermostat cycles open and closes as required to maintain the proper temperature. When it is closed, water is returned to the pump and recirculated until it is up to temp, then the 'stat opens and is is discharged. This goes on continually according to conditions.

It is supposed to smoke. 4-strokes smoke if they are burning oil. 2-strokes are ALWAYS burning oil....you put it in the gas! What doesn't burn (smoke) goes out the exhaust (oil slick on the water). Like it or not, that's just the way it is.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

That two stroke smoke is like the smell of barbeque on the fourth of July to me.:)

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The water that comes out the back of the motor above the water is mixed with some exhaust and is tyically steamy. It's not like a steady stream of water. Check for a photo in my Photobucket. A link is available in my profile. Sorry, I couldn't attach it to this post.
You can perform the hand test by running the engine and see how long you can keep your fingers on the engine near the head. A few seconds is the rule of thumb.
There are also temperature crayons available from your marine dealer. These crayons melt at specific tempertures. Buy a 125 and a 163 degree crayon and rub on the side of the heads. The 125 should melt but not the 163. If the 125 doesn't melt then you need to check the thermostat as it may be open all the time and your engine is not up to temperature. If the 163 melts then you likely have a overheating problem.
I chose the infrared thermometer method since I require my finger prints to log into my computer. Trouble is, you only know at the time of the test. With the 163 crayon on your heads you can periodically check to see if it melted.
Smoking is good for the engine since you've got lots of oil. The fish and aquatic plant life don't like it so much. Does it smoke all the time or only at start up? Typically you pump lots of gas to it to start the engine and a brief cloud of smoke is the result.