Questions from a soon-to-be newbie owner

BobS14127

Cadet
As a soon to be newbie boat owner, I have some questions for those on this forum who are experienced. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong spot.

I?ve always been able to research my car purchases for invoice versus list pricing but don?t? find that ability for boat buying. Having priced some choices online, how do I make an offer for the boat? What?s fair and reasonable as an initial offer? 50% of list, 40%? I can?t believe that all boats sell at list. Any suggestions?

My plans are to buy a cabin cruiser, boat around the Great Lakes here in Western New York, then retire to North Carolina and cruise the Intra Coastal Waterway, doing overnights etc. Since the boat will be kept at a marina, how do I flush the motor after each run? What are ?ear muffs? for flushing? Does it make a difference as to the type of motor I get? I?ve seen ads for the Mercruiser SeaCore motor and its usage in salt water. Do I need to be concerned with fresh water usage vs. salt-water and what maintenance steps do I need to take?

I know that the experienced members are rolling on the floor now, but I'm trying to learn in advance of the purchase.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Questions from a soon-to-be newbie owner

If and when you purchase your boat all of that information should be gone over with you by salesman. It's great that you're thinking ahead of the game but there are some questions there that only you can answer; your particular motor type, salt or fresh water. Have no idea where you'll be taking your boat or what your plans are once you get it. Many boat manufacturers will limit you on certain models with certain available power plants and drive systems. Many times you can get what you want but the pocketbook will hurt - and it might be the wrong set up for your particular use. If this will be your first boat think about buying used. Shop around for something that suits your needs and desires and get used to boating in general - it's not for everyone. The allure of the open water is a swan song, happens to most all of us once - the reality check of it all is a big slap in the face when all of the associated bills start rolling in. Keep lookin' - don't buy new for a first boat. :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

start reading the mercruiser/volvo I/O forum. i perfer the VolvoPenta units.. also buy something you can handle. in south Fl, a lot of SnowBirds, retire, buy what they think they want, then don't use it because it is too large for the older couple to handle,

BobS14127

Cadet

Gcboat and Tashasdaddy, Thanks for your replies.

Did anyone buy their boat new? How did you determine how much you offered initially? I'm all for and understand that car dealers and boat dealers need a profitable business, I just don't want to not overpay or pay list.

Thanks.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Price off of list is a function of the initial markup and demand for the product, etc. When I was shopping for a trailerable boat a few years ago, 15 - 25% off of list could be attainable on most models. You may want to go to a few boat shows to see what is offered there, since most dealers will offer a good price at the show.

Also, you may want to consider starting off with something smaller than a cabin cruiser in case you decide boating isn't for you.

rndn

Commander

If you decide to go used, here's the information for the NADA values for used boats and outboards.
"http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-24-38-5692-818-946-59910&l=1&w=24&p=38&f=5693&gc=mr"
I've added quotes before and after the link to comply with the rules of this forum.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

At this point in your information gathering % off list is relatively minor in importance. You need to be thinking of things like how many people will be typically on board? How many berths do I need? How many days do I plan to be "out." Is speed important? Number of cabins? Flybridge? Range? Gas or diesel? and on and on - -

Best bet is to hit the yacht clubs in your area and talk to owners. Hit any boat shows within a reasonable distance. If you can swing the time & expense the Miami Boat show in Feb. (I think) is one of the largest in the world. Boat shows are also one of the best places to purchase a boat as the manufacturers and dealers will offer discounts they would not otherwise do. Go to marinas and boat ramps & talk to folk. Buy & read every boating magazine you can find.

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought my boat (used) from Wheelhouse marine in Grand Island. The only time you have to flush the motor(s) is at the end of the season. Flush them out w/marine anti freeze. What size cruiser are you looking into? There are a lot of engine options out there. Anything over a 24' I'd look for a 10' beam & twin motors, they're much more stable & easier to maneuver with the twins.
I had a 28' w/an 8' beam & single I/O. She rolled alot & was a bear to dock.

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best advice I can give is take your time and do as much research as possible. Everyone starts somewhere with what they think they want. This can change rather quickly once you get out and start using a boat.

Don't forget about towing and storage either.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the Volvo Penta guys! I worked at a dealer for 6 years before finishing my Masters degree. In the last 4 years I was there the dealership picked up Glaston. Volvo Penta had less service calls on them than the Mercury powerplants we sold. A good solid I/O powerplant.