7.4L Mercruiser Won't turn over (fixed)

detanner

Cadet
I posted this on Friday and got three good responses, Thank you. I found the problem yesterday..this is pretty bad, especially for me. When I left the boat back in March, I disconnected both batteries but left the batteries in the boat. My problems indicated low amperage or engine/starter as mentioned below. I took both batteries out and charged them over night. When I went to put them back in I found one of the black large starter cables stuffed down behind the battery box..agh! I missed that cable when I connected the battery. Hooked it up and the big V8 started right up. What a stupid mistake. I spent most of Friday chasing a self induced problem. Thanks again for the help.

Dave

My Mercruiser won't turn over. It's been sitting high and dry for three months. I did start it just before it sat up. I thought it was the battery. Typical symptoms for a low battery, clicking starter, so I added the house battery, and finally my truck battery. The clicking stopped and it just killed all the guages. I'm thinking something is frozen so I pulled all the plugs out and tried, nothing, almost like a dead short. I put it in gear and used the prop to roll the engine a little. Put it back into neutral and with all three batteries it turned over just a couple turns and stopped. I took the batteries to the auto store and had them checked...they are good. I'm going to check the starter tomorrow.

Any ideas on what this might be? Are the bearings or pistons frozen?

Thanks for any help.

Dave