Plum tree not doing well

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a Santa Rosa? plum tree from Walmart about a month ago. It was scrawny, had few leaves left, and didn't look very healthy. I paid $10.00 for it, so I wasn't too concerned about the likelyhood of it dying. (Plus it's gauranteed for a year). I planted it according to the instructions.
It's still green, but doesn't seem to have grown any new leaves or stems. A few leaves have fallen off. It apears to have rust colored areas here and there on some leaves, as well as on the stems. Some of the leaves have holes in them, not sure if it's from insects or poor nutrition. For care, it said to water daily until established, then water when ground is dry. I have been trying to do that, although I'm not sure it's even established yet, as there has been no new growth.
I also bought an orange tree, and it's doing very well. Any ideas on what to do with the plum tree?

Thanks in advance!

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: Plum tree not doing well

Summer is usually the worst time of year to plant any tree, even though they are selling them. Heat stresses new trees pretty hard. Fall and early spring are the best times.

IMO, since you are keeping it alive, if you can get it to survive the winter, it should take off next spring.

Good luck.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Ok, I ran this past my wife who runs a Garden centre here is the loose results of her opinion.
1st: you are expecting too much too soon.
2nd: you bought from Walmart...don't expect it to be in cared for condition upon purchase
3rd: give it a season, like mscher said, wait until next year...let it get over its replant stress...you won't see anything this year so 'let it go'. However keep up the watering and hang in there.
Next spring/summer is when it will start kickin'.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks fellas,
I'll keep up with the watering then, and hope it makes it.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Prune it, feed it, water it. Don't be afraid to give it a harsh pruning, then give it a soaking of white oil. At the beginning of winter next year, prune it again.

Expect fruit in 2009.

rwise

Captain

aspirin works well to stop transplant shock, a bit late for it know but you might try anyway. mix a half dozen or so with water and water the plum tree. Most likely it has root damage as well, if so it will never overcome it completely (you will get this from name places as well) You might try a fertilizer with a high center number (as in 5-75-5 (not 10-20-10)) this will encourage root growth.
Good luck wit it