fuel problems

Tstates

Cadet
I have an 9.5hp evinrude that will start on the firt pull then 30 seconds late die. I'll pull the plugs and they are soaked. I then can't start it unless I wait at least a 1/2 hour or so. It seems like it's getting to much fuel. I rebuilt the carb thinking the float was sticking, but the same thing his happening. :mad: Does any one have any other suggestion?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: fuel problems

If the fuel pump develops a torn diaphragm, it'll flood one of the cylinders. You can usually tell if it's torn if the primer bulb never really gets and stays firm when priming.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I had the same thing happening to my 1964 9.5 pony Rudy.It turned out that the float in the carburetor reservoir had sprung a leak. (Mine had an aluminum float).It could be something stupid like that.

Tstates

Cadet

I checked the diaphram in the fuel pump and everything looks good. I received a new float when I rebuilt the carb so I'm pretty sure thats not it. Any other suggestions?

lmddmc

Cadet

I have an 9.5hp evinrude that will start on the firt pull then 30 seconds late die. I'll pull the plugs and they are soaked. I then can't start it unless I wait at least a 1/2 hour or so. It seems like it's getting to much fuel. I rebuilt the carb thinking the float was sticking, but the same thing his happening. :mad: Does any one have any other suggestion?

I had the same thing happen to me on a 6 hp evinrude and what caused it was
some yellow jackets had made there home under my engine cover and believe it or not they put mud in my vent hole in carburetor and it wouldnt let atmosphere pressure in the carb on the top side of float. Mark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

99% it's in the carbs, if the diaphram is definately good. check your spark when it dies, coils could heat up and fail.

Tstates

Cadet

How do I know when if the coils fail? Is there a simple way to tell?