Steering cable stiff

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I have narrowed down my stiff steering to the cable.

Is there anyway I can lube this cable, or is replacement the only option.

Thanks,
Ken

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steering cable stiff

I'm thinking by the time you fiddled trying to get lubrication throughout the cable you could of installed a new one. I know it's gonna' cost a pretty penny ( geez, whoever coined that phrase never had a boat, did they?), but in the long run all will be new and shiney and work like it's supposed to. I'd give it a try before I purchased a new cable though - just never know what might happen. But if your luck is like mine you'll eventually end up buying a new one. :(

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depends on the type of steering system...if is it rack/pinion then I would tell you don't risk it. If the cable is rusted then it is compromised and the last you thing you want is for it snap while running down the lake at WOT. Your motor will immediately torque into a full turn and even if it doesn't flip your boat nothing good will come of this experience. Replace it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Not rack and pinion. It is a teleflex cable.

Cable isnt rusted, just stiff.

It is moveable and I can manuver normally. I just think it is a little bit too stiff.

Perhaps I just need to go to the gym. :D

Ken

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

teleflex makes both rack and pinion, and rotary, no feed back rotary, and hydrolic. remove the cable from the tilt tube on the motor, then work the cable, if the cable is stiff, replace. clean the tilt tube of all rust and debrie. a shot gun cleaning bush works well. there are also special bushes $20. the top is the tilt tube, middle is rotary helm, bottom is r&p helm. a lot of times the cables go bad in the sheath.