Slower starter

boneheads

Cadet
I had the fuse on the motor keep blowing you all helped me find a short thanks. Now right after we fixed the short, I would turn the key once and it would just click, the second turn of the key it would start with no hesitation.
Now I have a fully charged battery, but the starter is slow to turn the motor and wont start. Can anyone Please HELP THX:confused::confused: 1995 40 HP Force

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Slower starter

Your first description is that of a starter solenoid going bad and can cause the second problem. You can verify this by jumping from the + side of the battery straight to the starter. If the starter then works properly, replace the starter solenoid. If the starter still won't work it will have to be rebuilt or replaced. Before you do all that make sure all your battery connection are clean and tight.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

sounds like you have a voltage draw
you need to do a voltage drop test

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How does it feel when you turn it over by hand?

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just becuase the battery is fully chardged doesn't mean the battery is any good...... I had a motorcycle battery that would charge to 100%. I'd put it in the bike, and it wouldn't have the balls to turn it over.

Got a new battery and bammo, worked great.......Same with my jetskis and my previous boat too..........

I had the fuse on the motor keep blowing you all helped me find a short thanks. Now right after we fixed the short, I would turn the key once and it would just click, the second turn of the key it would start with no hesitation.
Now I have a fully charged battery, but the starter is slow to turn the motor and wont start. Can anyone Please HELP THX:confused::confused: 1995 40 HP Force

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with hckrphil. I would do a load test on the battery first or take it down to a local parts store that can test it for you. If it has even one bad cell in it, it will charge up all the way but that cell will also instantly drain the rest of the cells in the battery dead. It will also not provide the cranking amps needed to turn the engine over.

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've also taken my motorcycle battery to Advance Auto Parts and they told me the battery was good.............. yet I was running into the same problem as you. I finally got fed up and replaced the battery, no more problems.

I agree with hckrphil. I would do a load test on the battery first or take it down to a local parts store that can test it for you. If it has even one bad cell in it, it will charge up all the way but that cell will also instantly drain the rest of the cells in the battery dead. It will also not provide the cranking amps needed to turn the engine over.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

VOLTAGEDROPTEST.jpg

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately, hckrphil, doing a load test on a small motorcycle battery is not the same as a larger battery such as a car or a boat. The cold cranking amp output is completely differen't. I hear what you are saying, but to do a carbon pile battery test on a motorcycle battery is not a good way to test one and you have to do it at half the rated cold cranking amps of the battery itself, which is not easy with an automotive battery tester and often shows inaccurate results. I use to be a motorcycle mechanic and use to test motorcycle and ATV batteries with a good quality digital (non carbon pile) type tester. With that said, an automotive store such as napa or someone similiar, should be able to test a deep cell marine battery fairly accurately.

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well then, that explains why they told me the battery was good even though it wasn't :)

Phil