Lots of ?'s about johnson 5hp.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I just got the 5hp johnson I bought on ebay. I think it's a 1966 could somebody tell me if i'm right.

model# LD-11r
serial# J2658492
DSC03241.jpg

My next thing I need to find out is why the gas line is leaking. I just bought a 3 gallon and a new hose for it it clips on but when I prime it it leaks at the connection to the motor. Is there a 0 ring that i'm missing?
DSC03238.jpg

DSC03240.jpg

Next is when I started the motor it ran nice but I whent to check the temp with a temp gun it had crossed the 200 mark. So I thought the water pump wat toast so I took off the LU and looked at the water pump and it looks okay so could the water jackets be cloged?
DSC03247.jpg

What is this key bellow the water pump called and what does it do?
DSC03245.jpg

Next is that there where three screws in the prop I have no clue what they do what do you think they do.
DSC03243.jpg

Next is the shaft just spins in the prop so how could I stop the shaft from turning so I can get the nut off?

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lots of ?'s about johnson 5hp.

more pics.
DSC03246.jpg

DSC03242.jpg

So can I till get a gasket kit for the lu and a water pump? Where could I get a new prop?

Thanks.:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

HP and Year is correct. Sounds like the o-ring is missing in the fuel connector, but it shouldn't be that if it's a new hose. Are you sure you got a hose for a Johnson? The key drives the water pump impeller. The propeller is garbage. Somebody tried to bolt it together. Throw it away. You may have to cut or grind the nut off, and then put the right kind of nut on. Try a Johnson dealer for parts.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just looked can't belive I grabbed a yamaha fuel line I'll go get just the connector and switch it.:eek::(

The prop is crap is it still possible to get a brand new prop?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't have the correct parts book, but the prop for a 1968 is part number 380104 and is listed as no longer available at the dealers. But anything is available if you look hard enough. Try the Antique Outboard Motor Club's website aomci.org and put a free want ad on their Webvertize classified ads pages. There are also outboard "junkyards" to check out.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my buddy at a prop shop just sold 2 of those props the other day!their getting harder to find new all the time.as a matter of fact the fellow bought 2 of them just to be sure he had a extra for years down the road.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Hard to find? Where? See old props of all types/kinds/sizes/makes all the time on Schmebay...check the Ask A Member board at www.aomci.org to find out what size/pitch/brand was original and what will interchange. You may find one at an AOMCI swap meet in your area.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hard to find? Where? See old props of all types/kinds/sizes/makes all the time on Schmebay...check the Ask A Member board at www.aomci.org to find out what size/pitch/brand was original and what will interchange. You may find one at an AOMCI swap meet in your area.
sorry i was talking about new!not used.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay what about the over heating? I fixed the fuel leak. I'm going to sand blast the lower unit and repaint it.:D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just sand blasted the lu looks good.:D

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Put a new impeller in it while you have it apart...use a new impeller and rekey it to the shaft with the little key in one of your photos. You don't have to sandblast those old babies, they have a good base coat of factory primer under the color coat...except where it's worn off. Lightly sand the existing paint, wash and dust it off, primer the bare areas with a good self-etching primer and then do a cover coat the color of your choice. The self-etching primer is necessary to get the new color coat to stick and stay stuck during submersion. The Duplicolor auto paints offer a good color choice and are compatible with most brands of primer.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was gong to just sand it and I said screw it I have a sand blaster I just start with fresh clean metal. Does this motor have a thermostat. If it does is it at the top of the head?:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They were sold without a thermostat. However, a thermostat kit was offered as an accessory for anybody who thought they needed one. It goes under the triangular cover on top of the head. Same as a six horsepower.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took the cover off there is corrosion but I thought it would be worse. I think I have a clog some where. What should I look at should I pull the head I don't want to break any bolts.:D
0901071048.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Put the cover back on and blow air up through the wate tube to see if it goes through. Clogging is possible but not very common. What is common is for the water tube to be bent and rubbing on the spinning drive shaft, which wears a hole in it so the water all spills out before it ever gets up to the powerhead.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow I just looked and the end is plugged solide with crap and corrosion.:eek:

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay I took a drill with a bit just the right size to fit in the pipe and drilled out the clogg. Now if I blow it comes out threw all the holes under that cover.:D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay so my next problem is one of the bolts for the water pump housing is broken off it's the one that is deep down in the lu. The housing is in a recess and with one bolt it seems like it not gong to go any where or should I still drill out the bolt and tap for a new one?:confused:

sorry crappy cell phone pics.:eek:
0901071219.jpg

0901071218.jpg