Evinrude 110 leaking fuel down front of engine

Boatchick

Recruit
Hi I'm posting for my buddy who is trying like heck to get out of the house and get on the road. He is a boating newbie, who upon picking up my kid for the weekend noticed that fuel was leaking down the front of his Evinrude 110 (80's vintage) onto the transom or down the front of the engine onto the ground if the engine was down. I know little about fuel set ups on boats and he knows less. It appears to me that the fuel is leaking out of a square gasket on the front of the engine. so I have a couple of questions

Is that where the carbs or the fuel filters are housed?

Is this an easy fix or will it require a carb rebuild (which I am sure it likely needs).

He ran the engine last night and this morning and noticed no leaks until he got to my house, could this just be some fuel that spilled out of the float bowl?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give. :D

daverowlands

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 110 leaking fuel down front of engine

Not sure but i had this once, a fuel line had a slight split just before the carb so when the priming bulb was pressurized it leaking but it didn't when the engine was running because there ain't much pressure, you could try and pressure the line with the bulb and see if you see anything. like i say i don't know much about boat engines either but thats what happened on a friends boat

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if the engine was tilted, and the fuel line attached, it was a hot day, the carbs could be over flowing. since the carbs are out of level, the float needle may not be closing.

Boatchick

Recruit

Thanks Tashasdaddy! that is very likely it. It is warm (for us anyway 85 in Seattle :) ) He took it home tightened everything up and ran it again and it seems fine. He was so very very bummed out when he thought he might have to leave the boat behind. I was hoping for some advice to help him on his way. I will send him links to your forum so he can ask his own questions next time.

I have let him know that he may want to replace old fuel lines (or all old lines for that matter) next spring just for good measure.

He is on the road to Mason Lake!

Thanks all!