I used the wrong oil

bigtwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
On the way out to the lake the other day I stopped for fuel, I forgot to bring a bottle of oil from home with me, so I went inside and purchased a quart of Citgo Supergard sea and snow, and used it. I didn't realize that the oil I had used wasn't TCW certified, and is recommended for snowmobiles and personal watercraft use only.
I used 1 pt for 6 gal of fuel (50:1) and I have about 3 gal. of fuel remaining.
Do you think that I may have dammaged anything?
Should I drain the tank and not use the remaining 3 gal., or should I just dilute the the mixture with fresh premix using a TCW3 oil, or should I just continue to use it and not worry about it???
BTW the oil was used in a 1998 Evinrude 25hp twin cyl.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I used the wrong oil

You are correct- Citgo Supergard Sea & Snow is not TCW-3 certified but the Citgo Marine Plus is. One of the requirements to become a TCW-3 certified oil is that it be compatable with other TCW-3 oil. SO, there is no guarantee that it will be compatable with other oil you mix it with. That would not be a good thing if that did in deed occur (although it is unlikely).

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

FYI---

C I T G O S U P E R G A R D ? S E A A N D S N O W TM
2 - C Y C L E E N G I N E O I L
C I T G O P e t r o l e u m C o r p o r a t i o n ? 8 0 0 / 2 4 8 - 4 6 8 4 ? H o u s t o n , Te x a s ? M a d e i n U S A
CITGO SUPERGARD Sea and Snow 2-Cycle Engine Oil is a synthetic blend, low smoke oil designed
for use in high performance air-cooled or liquid two-stroke engines of Personal Water Craft (PWC)
and Snowmobiles.
SUPERGARD Sea and Snow 2-Cycle Engine Oil is engineered for lower smoke and advanced
protection for air-cooled 2-cycle engines. The synthetic blend formula meets or exceeds the rigorous
requirements of the API TC, JASO FC and ISO EGD classifications for 2-cycle air-cooled engine oils
and also exceeds the performance requirements for JASO FA, JASO FB, ISO-L-EGB, and ISO-L-EGC.
This advanced oil helps protect today?s high performance air-cooled 2-cycle engines against exhaust
port blocking, combustion chamber and piston deposits, ring sticking and scuffing, and wear. The
JASO FC Certification Number is 001 CGO 535.
SUPERGARD Sea and Snow is formulated with premium CITGO base oils and a new synthetic low
ash additive package that provides excellent lubricity and detergency performance that surpasses
standards for preventing piston and combustion chamber deposits. In addition, SUPERGARD Sea
and Snow is a synthetic blend which reduces exhaust smoke and prevents piston seizure and cylinder
scuffing. SUPERGARD Sea and Snow is prediluted to allow easy mixing with gasoline and smooth
flowing in oil injection systems.
CITGO SUPERGARD Sea and Snow 2-Cycle Engine Oil is recommended for use in air-cooled,
2-cycle applications where an API TC, JASO FD, and ISO EGD product is preferred. It can be used in
either premix or oil injection systems up to 50:1 fuel ratios. It may also be used in certain motorcycle
engines which are liquid cooled. Not recommended for engines requiring an NMMA TC-W3, TC-WII, or
TC-W product.
SUPERGARD Sea and Snow is formulated primarily for use in snowmobiles and personal watercraft. It
can be used in motorcycles, generators, lawnmowers, and hand held power equipment such as leaf
blowers, trimmers, and chainsaws. SUPERGARD Sea and Snow provides the necessary protection to
keep your snowmobile or PWC running cleaner, longer, and with less smoke.
D a t e 0 5 / 0 5
QUALITIES:
APPLICATIONS:
DESCRIPTION:
P R O D U C T I N F O R M A T I O N
TYPICAL PROPERTIES:
CITGO SUPERGARD SEA AND SNOW 2-CYCLE ENGINE OIL
Material Code 621612001
Gravity, ASTM D 4052, ?API 32.5
Density, lb/gal at 60?F 7.19
Flash Point, PMCC, ASTM D 93, ?F (?C) 158 (70)
COC, ASTM D 92, ?F (?C) 194 (90)
Viscosity, ASTM D 445, cSt at 40?C 56
cSt at 100?C 8.5
ASTM D 2161, SUS at 100?F 288
SUS at 210?F 54.9
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 126
Pour Point, ASTM D 97, ?F (?C) -44 (-42)
Appearance, Color Purple
Sulfated Ash, ASTM D 874, % 0.10
Total Base Number, ASTM D 2896, mg KOH/g 1.1
C 1

BF

Lieutenant

If it were me, I wouldn't sweat it much. The owner's manual on my '70 25 hp calls for mixing 30 weight motor oil with the gas. Of course the current TC-W3 stuff is better, but i don't think a few gallons of lower quality pre-mix will do harm. I would add fresh pre-mix to top of the tank and not think of it again.

Your mileage may vary.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I agree. Just use it up and keep on boating...

Cape Coder

Seaman Apprentice

I did the same thing once, I didn't have a problem I had 12 gals of gas & oil

gss036

Commander

I agree with the above post responses, use it and don't worry about it. Go buy some TCW-3 and give the rest to someone who has an air cooled engine.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Top up with the correct stuff and dont worry about it. 2 stroke oil whatever it is, is designed to mix with gasoline. If you had no issues so far you should be O.K.

bigtwin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanx for all the input guys. I will just add some fresh premix and not worry any more.