What outboard is best 200-250hp?

newbster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at picking up a 26" Starcraft Islander with a blown I/O motor. I'm thinking of getting rid of the I/O and putting an offshore bracket with an outboard on it. The boat will be used mostly in Puget Sound but 20-50 miles offshore as well for tuna fishing. The islander is aluminum and weighs in around 4000 lbs with motor. Figure 5ish with gas, ice, fish etc. The I/O at 200hp would max out around 35. I figure I'll want at least a 200 but probably as much as a 250. The question is 2 cycle direct injection vs 4 cycle. Arguments either way? Cost vs weight? Reliability is probably a difficult conversation. Thoughts?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What outboard is best 200-250hp?

going where you are planning, i would not be caught without twins. most who do the conversions are not happy.

newbster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm figuring a main and a kicker for trolling and backup. Something along the lines of a 8HP.

What have you heard about the bracket? I'm thinking of extra room in the boat and lighter overall.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's not the bracket. the i/o is built with a different center of gravity, than a outboard.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The Etec 200 25 in shaft is 427lbs plus the bracket weight.I'm guessing 1/2 the I/O weight.You may have to move some weight around.I/os are so tail heavy it's hard to believe a carefully balanced
outboard setup wouldn't run circles around a similar I/O.If you moved a 20 gallon tank 160lbs from forward to stern it would be like a 320 lb move.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

An 8 hp auxiliary is not anywhere near enough - I'm with tashasdaddy.

newbster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate the input.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but rather do not understand what the argument is against offshore brackets as I have heard they help not hinder the ride. I'm lacking personal experience in the matter which is why I'm throwing it out here with the hope of someone with direct experience would clear things up.

I'm figuring a 8hp High Thrust would be adequate given the expected 5kish loaded weight. I'm not expecting more the 8-10 MPH out of it...basically good enough for trolling and emergency backup to get me home. Am I off base?