'56 Continental Hard top

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i'm looking at a restored '56. been on trailer for 12 years. never back in the water since restore. how do you swell these. i know to check the engine, prime the oil etc. but never had to swell a boat. no i won't tell you where it is, as this is a real find.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '56 Continental Hard top

If it were mine I would swell it from the outside with sprinklers along the bottom. Don't like adding that extra weight to the bilge while on a trailer/blocks. Also, the inner planking may be plywood. I'd spray some propylene glycol inside the bilges and let dry.

Is this a varnished hull, TD ?

I believe Sikaflex caulking is reasonably safe to use in the seams as it is easily squeezed out during the swelling process without comprimising the outer planking. Indeed, it will ooze out onto the tarmac if she's out in the hot sun for extended periods. If you are considering caulking please check to make sure of the type to use. There is still the old cotton rope available.

The methods and materials used in the restoration will also play a important role in how to proceed with future maintenance.

Attachments

• bull nose 1.jpg
    bull nose 1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

TD,
My father used to put it in the water, tied to dock with pumps. check every couple of hours the first day. Then after three days he finally fire the motor. By three days the planks are swollen together.

If the motor is started befor swelling the seams will leak like a sive from the vibration.

Hope thats what you want to know.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

You found a WHAT? Oh man, am I ever envious. Is this the model with the Gray marine straight six? Geez TD, what a find. Anyway, you mentioned it came with a trailer. If you know someone who has a boat ramp just back her down the ramp - on the trailer and let it sit for a couple of days. You will need to place a good bilge pump in there to keep the water from rising too high. If for some reason anything drastically fails then all she'll do is settle back down on the bunks. But in any case I'd be tempted to keep a close eye on her.
If you've never chinked a hull before I would not attempt it without someone who knows what they're doing. Just let her swell up naturally and go from there. I really want to see some pics. :D