Need More Pulling Power from 4.3 Volvo

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
I have a carburated 4.3 Volvo Penta on my '03 18' Glastron. It has good pulling power for skiers with 3 people in the boat and one behind it, but the other day I had 5 in the boat and was pulling a tuber and it was struggling to get on plane. Is there anyway to add more pulling power without tearing the engine down or going to a 5.0 or 5.7? MSD, K&N flame arrestor, maybe through hull exhaust? (I know, I know, through hull exhaust on a Glastron??? Sounds dumb, I know. Just thinking out loud.) Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need More Pulling Power from 4.3 Volvo

V8 or change the lower unit to a DP. It will do wonders for the boat.

MikDee

Banned

Wait a second, just had an idea, maybe a set of 1.6 ratio roller rocker would do the trick! Hanging out at the S-10forum, getting info for my truck, I hear this is worth maybe 15hp!, not too shabby. Plus I use synthetic blend oil, for the little extra boost in power, & economy.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He doesn't have an S-10 truck, he has a boat.

To pull tubers with 5 people on board an 18 foot boat, you need torque. Not HP. 15 HP will only give you maybe 1 mph to your top end speed.

MikDee

Banned

He doesn't have an S-10 truck, he has a boat.

To pull tubers with 5 people on board an 18 foot boat, you need torque. Not HP. 15 HP will only give you maybe 1 mph to your top end speed.

It doesn't matter, a Chevy v6, is a Chevy v6! What, you don't think he'll get a boost in torque with this also? Come on!,,, Besides you know yourself, that the Chevy marine motors are built around a Chevy truck block!

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don is right, this would be a huge waste of money for the minimal gain in HP. There is no replacement for displacement. You could go to a lower pitch prop. I have a 4.3L Vortec with the 4V and I just put on a 17P 4 blade prop and my boat leaps out of the water now with 4 or 5 on board. Top end suffered a bit but how often do you need to go 50+ MPH.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:cool: Simple stuff here, go to prop forums......or like Don said spend 6 grand and get a 350

However Don has eluded to the DP drive, what's up with that Don........I mean geessshhh that much less drag.....:confused:

Bondo

Staff member

5 people in a 18' boat, pulling somebody on a water toy,..??..??..??......
That's Got to be Overloaded........

Leave 3 of the spectators on Shore.........

Dunaruna

Admiral

Optimal tuneup, prop for WOT, polish the (underside) hull.

If that don't ring your bells, change boats.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

simple
change props to fit the load.
its why trucks have multi-speed transmisions,
keep lugging it while overloaded and you will post about swallowed intake valves while your tech gets a new pair of shoes.
its just that simple.

germanstyle

Cadet

what's a DP bottom end? are you reffering to dual prop? i was led to believe that a 4.3 doesn't have enough power for those is that true? i have a 87 seaswirl with a 12v 4.3 could i put a dual prop set up on it?

ktmrider

Seaman

how about a Stingray XRIII hydrofoil....
It does wonders by getting the boat onto plane faster.

Just sell the boat and get another one with a v8. There are plenty of good used boats out there.

by the way, why is it that I see many "wakeboard boats" out on lakes and rivers but no wakeboarders in the back? then they try to sell the pos boat for $50k....:rolleyes: