Hull shape question

96 Wellcraft

Seaman Apprentice
Donnas40thToddsRD059.jpg
[/IMG]

Why does my 1996 Wellcraft Excel 21SX have such a funky hull shape? Maybe its normal, but I looked at 50 or so boats, plus I've seen hundreds of pictures one here. I haven't noticed any hulls like this one. I can get a better picture, but my bow hull has a big round shaped drop on the bottom front. It then tapers into a standard shaped hull.

Why does the hull have this shape? Are there advantages/disadvantages to this design? This is my first boat, so I have a lot of questions. Thanks

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hull shape question

???

Looks normal in that photo ....

Kelly Cook

Bondo

Staff member

my bow hull has a big round shaped drop on the bottom front. It then tapers into a standard shaped hull.

?????????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have no idea what you are talking about. just looks like a nice style boat. do some editing on the picture, pointing out what you are talking about.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Go to the end of the site and get in the Glastron Boat section. Read some of the articles associated with Glastron and pay attention to their boat designer who helped form the company and later on retired from the company and formed his own.

Look at the hulls on the later model Glastrons and on his brand. Notice any similarity to yours? Look at the side pics and pay attention to the spray, how it is deflected down starting about midship.

Looks to me like yours is a deep V with strakes forward, for smooth water entry, and then a reverse chine farther back to direct the spray down so that the wind won't blow it back in the boat (onto the occupants) if from the side.

Looks pretty smart to me.

Mark

MikDee

Banned

I'm guessing here, without better pictures, but I'd say to give extra lift to the front bowrider seating (where most bowriders need it, especially with such a sleek raked radical hull design) at slow, and varying speeds, and while taking off quickly, & slowing down suddenly. You'll notice once the boat is fully on plane, this should be completely out of the water, don't worry, Wellcraft makes some of the best, innovative design, up to date boats you can get. If this is the case, I'd say it's a great design.