Can I spin a 21 Pitch Rev 4 with this setup?

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
I am getting a steal on a 21 pitch Rev 4 Prop, it might be to much prop for my boat, but I am not sure yet. I can also send the prop to have it reworked, but the price is to good to pass up.

Here are my Current Specs:

-94 Crownline 196 Bow rider (2900lbs dry by nada)
-19 feet long with a Mercruiser 5.0 2 bbl with thru hull exhaust
-Alpha 1 gen 2 drive with 1.65 gears.

I just purchased the boat about 4 months ago, and it came with a Michigan wheel 21 pitch prop, but my RPMS were running 5200 with this prop, when trimmed up to about 1/2 or just under, which was as high as I could get it without it blowing out. I changed this prop out for an aluminum 21 pitch Turning Point Hustler prop. I am now able to trim a little bit higher and I am only turning about 5000 RPMS, I can turn this with the boat loaded or unloaded. I get a top end speed of about 50-51 currently with this prop. The hole shot is great and throughout the range I have plenty of power.

I then tried a 23 Pitch Hustler Prop, to see if that would drop my RPMS, it did drop them down to 4200rpms, which I was surprised they fell down that much. I also lost Top end and hole shot. With this prop I could only get up to about 45.4 with 3 people on the boat.

My problem is that I am trying to get the RPMS to come down and get the max speed, as my MAX WOT Rpms stated they should be 4200-4600. I am looking to keep it around 4600-4800 on the high side if I can.

Thanks,
Bryan