No Water Pumping

ve4jnf

Recruit
I have a 1971 evenrude 85 hp motor. It runs great but the motor will not pump water.I have put a new pump caseing and impeller in it .New gaskets and a new o ring .I hooked as set of muffs to the engine and started it and no water at all ,taken it apart 7 times totaly given up.Impellor is in the clock wise position.I need ideas please.WHen i got the moter the housing was all melted.

freddyray21

Commander
Re: No Water Pumping

check and see if the water pick up is not blocked with old impeller parts or a mud dobbers nest ect. Also did you get the water tube lined up right?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the motor does not have a pee tube, it has the exhaust relief ports on the back mid section, you should be getting a mist or droplets out of it.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

how about thermostat? my 1971 was stuck open, yours could be stuck closed

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

The thermostats could very well be full of trash from the impeller etc.when it burned the water pump.I sugget you pull the therms and see what you got at that point,you could also give it a quick run with the housing off thermos and see what flow you got

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Pull the lower unit again. Remove the t stat covers and t stats. Blow compressed air up the water line and enusure that it is coming out of the t stat area. Remove 1 t stat at a time when doing this to make sure both passage ways are clear. While the lu is off, check the water intake are for debris and dirt, clean if needed. Test the t stats to make sure they are in fact opening, although i dont believe yours open until 140 degrees, you should see water misting through the exhaust ports as TD said, you have no tell tale unless someone has added one. When hooking the lu back up, MAKE SURE the water line is in line with the impeller housing grommet, it always seems to get knocked out place to block water flow.

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After you flush out the system, Forget the muffs for a minute and try a tank and be sure you got enough water in the tank. Sometimes you gotta have enough water pressure to force the water up.... Just a thought

K.B

Seaman

Don't forget to check head/manifold gasket leaks that impede the waterflow. Check compression readings.