1991 Force 120HP Tilt/Trim Overhaul Kit?

Scott/Tampa

Cadet
Hey Guys/Gals:

Does anybody know if their is actually a rebuild kit for these tilt/trim motors? I have a bleed down problem. In the full up position, the motor will be almost all the way back down within about 15 minutes. I have a repair manual that describes how to isolate the condition & I haven't done that yet.

Last time I had this problem (1998), I replaced the motor with a rebuilt one ($230) and it cured the problem. I'd like to tear it down and see if I can replace all the o-rings/seals, etc. Would be nice if their was a kit out there.

Also, please let me know if you know of mechanic that does this sort of thing (in case it's too complicated for my pea-brain).

Thanks,
Scott/Tampa, FL

JDP

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1991 Force 120HP Tilt/Trim Overhaul Kit?

You might want to check crowleymarine. I was able to get a kit for my tilt trim unit on my old boat. They have a good diagram of where everything goes.

RRitt

Captain

your problem is in valve body. there is no kit that will fix your problem. rebuilding vb's is touchy work. selling kits would kill as many as it would fix. even then there are many internal variations and one-size-fits-all kit would be very expensive. Based on year you probably have prestolite pump with hex key release plugs (versus retaining clips). You may have the tall skinny mercury pump with square base. Either way the parts you need were never sold. Check ebay there should be a mail-in rebuild of either pump for around $100-$120.

However - there is an important consideration. If you have the tall skinny pump then mercury might have used ATF instead of oil. System with ATF have a tendency for the cylinder piston rings to crumble about the same time pump gives out. When they do split they send debris back into the pump and the pump has to be rebuilt before the system will ever be "perfect" again. I have repaired more than one mercury pump only to have the cylinder pistons crumble within the next year and cause both ram and pump failure. So if you have the tall pump assy. with square base then see if fluid is reddish in color. If it is reddish then the wisest course of action is a full hydraulic rebuild during the off-season.

your motor died an awful early death. Hopefully it was just a fluke. usually the motor and VB both give out around same time. Do you know what caused the early demise?

Scott/Tampa

Cadet

Force tilt-trim photo 1 cropped.JPG

Thanks for the reply. The motor still functions fine....I just have the Engibe lowering slowly after I tilt it up. I attached a picture of the tilt/trim unit. First time doing this, so I'm not sure I've done it right.

Thanks again,

Scott.

RRitt

Captain

based on picture it's not going to function fine for much longer. you've got rust at the seals and it won't be long before the water gets in (if not already). it's cheaper to fix with a better end result if you get it fixed before the rust damages magnets or collar. my advice would be to get entire pump assy rebuilt including both motor and valve body. do it once and be done with it.

Scott/Tampa

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for a mechanic/shop that will bebuild. If anybody has any suggestions, by all means let me know. I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Scott
Tampa

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took a tilt/trim unit for a friend of mine into a hydraulic repair shop. They had no problems doing a complete rebuild of the system and it all works fine. Not sure what they ended up charging him for the repair, but I don't think it hurt too much. Just a thought

RRitt

Captain

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for a mechanic/shop that will bebuild. If anybody has any suggestions, by all means let me know. I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Scott
Tampa

check ebay

Scott/Tampa

Cadet

Thanks for all of your help guys! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I will be looking into local hydraulic repair shops.....

Scott/Tampa