Compatible powerpacks?

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1985 evinrude 40hp with powerpack part #582502 2 j v-oa and am getting no spark on the top cylinder, I swithed the orange wires to the coils and got spark so am pretty sure its the powerpack. I have another powerpack from a 1986? evinrude 40hp part# 582880 0a 2u 13.
Are they interchangable?

Boatpartsstore.com has part # 396141 which says this powerpack can replace either of these and a number of others.

Thanks for any moneysaving input.

Fish On!

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Compatible powerpacks?

If im understanding you correctly you need a new coil, not power pack. If you switched the known good coil to the "no spark" cylinder and created spark, you coil is to blame. Bit of a cheaper fix.

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No I switched the orange wires from the powerpack to the coils taking the top orange wire and putting it on the bottom and the bottom wire to the top and then got spark

sxm_tj

Cadet

i have this same problem that only one orange (bottom cillinder +- 6v)wire gives a signal to the power pack and the other orange(/blue top cillinder reads about 0.2 v)wire hardly any signal.

is this then a defaulty power pack or a default stator.

need a sure answer so i can order a new power pack or stator.

sxm_tj

Cadet

ive just done some reading, on cars there is one sensor that gives a signal when to spark, the rotor in turn divides it to the cilinders, is there in this case 2 sensors under the flywheel, or just one which sends the signal to the cdi and the cdi translates it to the right coil?? seeing there is no rotor (in my case) on the engine.

btw the i tested ohms between all wires from the stator and they all give 0 what should be good i gues

please help thanks

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you need to start a thread for an answer, I bought a powerpack and now have good spark top and bottom.