1976 AMF Crestliner - Bow Hook Issue

Evinrookie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently purchased a 1976 AMF Crestliner Muskie 550. It's a tri-hull (fiberglass) and in pretty good shape. However, the bow hook seems to be loose and the bottom portion of the hook as actually pulled away from the boat. This is my first boat and don't know how I should go about re-securing the hook. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

rndn

Commander
Re: 1976 AMF Crestliner - Bow Hook Issue

There should be a two nuts inside the bow to secure the bow hook.You may need t dig away some carpet to get to the nuts for tightening. make sure you use locktite or somethig close to keep the eye from loosening up again.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Yes tighten from the inside but before you do that make sure it has a large backing plate behind the nuts. I would use a aluminum angle peice at least 4 inches long and 1/4 inch thick.

A firm block of hardwood shaped to the hull and a 4 inch wide aluminum plate over it. Also add some silicon seal or 4200 to make sure it water tight.

Nylon lock Stainless steel lock nuts will unually not loosen or back off. Also can use two Nuts locked together.

Evinrookie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help. Great advice Boatist. Any suggestions on what type of wood to use? The current piece is pretty rotten.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If you can find a piece of aluminum that fits and spreads the pull that would be my first choice. If not then any solid piece of wood that will not crack. do not use redwood. Hard wood will tend to last longer after get cut to the right shape coat with a solid stain to make as waterproof as you can. Put some big stainless washers behind or flat aluminum plate. Seal with silicone or 3M 4200 then bolt down solid and it will last a very long time.

Evinrookie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your help. One last question. As I am new to owning a boat this may be a silly one. Are bow hooks specific to a boat (hole pattern, size)? If I determine the old one is too questionable to reuse once I take it off, will I be able to easily find a new one without drilling more holes?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Yes you should be able to find new ones that match the same hole pattern.
If it the standard U bolt if you get the same size bolt will likely have the same spread. When shopping for a new one take the old one with you.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I just replaced mine after it did the same thing! :)

You should be able to find some info if you 'search' for 'Bow Eye' in the Boat Restoration heading.

I just finished glassing mine yesterday. I will let it sit for a few days before I redrill, and remount the hardware. It's definitely a learning experience.

Another thing. If you have rotten wood in there you might be getting into a little project you haven't counted on if you aren't careful. You may want to seal up, and reglass the block if you decide to put wood in. I decided NOT to replace it with wood, but put down around 1/2" of fiberglass, and will finish up with an iron plate and large washers.

Oh yeah .... most standard U Bolt type bow eyes are 3/8 inch in diameter for anything under 25 feet.

protozo1

Cadet

I had a similar issue with a bigger heavier boat and used a 1/4" thick piese of stainless steel as a backing plate and used 5200 adheasive sealant in addition to the washers, lock washers and nuts. It's solid as a rock now.