need help on tough decision

tcash

Recruit
I am buying my first boat and this forum has helped me out since my search began 3 months ago. I am looking at 20-22 foot runabouts and have thus far tested a 2002 Chap 200 SSI(actually, this one should not count as the engine did not start for about 20 minutes and once it did, the stern began to shake, they said the prop was not on properly), a 1999 Four Winns Horizon 240 (a little bigger than I was looking at, but priced well), 2001 Searay 210 sundeck, 2003 Crownline 208, and a 2000 Cobalt 206. We have narrowed it down to the Crownline and the Cobalt. The crownline has only 75 hours on it and is in great condition. It has a Volvo 5.0 Alpha one with 270 horsepower. It rode really well and is very nice to look at. The Cobalt has 290 hours on it and has a 350 Magnum engine with bravo 3 dual prop engine. It has a couple of scuffs but overall is in great condition as well considering it is a 7 year old boat. There are things I like and dislike about both. For example, there is more room in the Crownline in the cockpit, but less area in the bow. The bimini on the Cobalt covers the entire cockpit, and the crownline covers only the front half. No extended swim deck on the Cobalt, but the Crownline has one. This stuff is no big deal. When it came to the test drive, hands down, the Cobalt was amazing. The cobalt is price about $5k higher than the Crownline My concern, and this is where I am seeking your advice... Is it a bad idea to buy an older boat, with 4x the hours? In case you are wondering, we are leaning toward the Cobalt, but I just don't want to make a poor choice that I may regret. Your advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: need help on tough decision

normally I would lean more towards the boat with less hours, but 290 hours is nothing, I have a cobalt and although it is huge it is amazing, so I would also say go with the cobalt .....

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

The Cobalt's a gorgeous boat so I would default to that. Our neighbours had the model you're looking at and every time they cruised by the dock I would admire it. I hear good things anecdotally about their quality as well.

That said, get it independently inspected for mechanical condition, hull etc. That's enough hours for someone to do some damage if it hasn't been taken care of properly.

Also, if you can find them, start shopping within the same brands to get an idea if the prices are in line with others with the same hours. You may just find something newer for less money.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

both boats are in the time catagory for exhaust manifold changes. even thought the only has 75 hours on it, the rust on the inside of the manifold did not quit. check the maintainance records.