oem vrs aftermarket parts

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
when you buy after market parts imo. like cap rotor etc. they are what they are aftermarket..manifolds are 1 thing but i got a new cap and dist with thunder iv new aftermarket dist. with after market rotor...piece of crap rotor fell apart after 1 full day out. so my advice on parts that matter the most buy oem
bob/p

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: oem vrs aftermarket parts

I prefer OEM but have had great luck with Arco Marine as well as most things from Sierra Marine.

What brand were you using ? One day seems very short.

DHP

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Ditto on the Sierra. And one day???......... somethings not right there. :confused:

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Personally I dont care who made the part. Most of these parts are made in the same factory with 30 different companies buying the same part and all of them stamping their own name on the package. You really think that these companies all have their own little factories and machinery and they make all these parts? HELL NO. they all pick up the phone and call some place far away where labor is cheap and the say i need 3000 widgets part # 33x45. then they charge you a astronomical amount just because some guy in their shipping and receiving sits there with a roll of MARINE stickers in one hand and a sore thumb from pressing stickers on packages.

delsol

well i got a dist. from ebasic power thunderbolt iv with cap and rotor. ran it a few times on muffs and then 6 hours or so and it stalled. the rotor was made real cheap..replace it with a $12 merc oem. the part looks like new . the contact metal just fell off.
bob

delsol

also i worked at gm and toyota dealers for over 10 years . i think some parts matter more then others,. and the prices are not always cheaper at the aftermarket stores ..90% of the time they are. but sometimes you are better at the dealer. on cars its way better then boats. but still higher $$$
bob

KaGee

Admiral

Since you have worked for car dealers, you of all folks should understand that OEM parts fail also. Poor design or workmanship or whatever.

delsol

i know just because its new oem , does not make it a good part. my best friend, a gm mechanic always says , never think because you just replaced it . it is good . as it can always be defective
bob/p

180Diablo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also i worked at gm and toyota dealers for over 10 years . i think some parts matter more then others,. and the prices are not always cheaper at the aftermarket stores ..90% of the time they are. but sometimes you are better at the dealer. on cars its way better then boats. but still higher $$$
bob

Agreed, generally OE parts for vehicles are more expensive then aftermarket. However, there are "some" parts that are cheaper by hundreds compared to aftermarket. There are also parts that are not possible to buy through the aftermarket and are a dealer only items.

I currently work in the parts dept for a GM dealership.

delsol

a good example is a 5.7 truck motor from gm. verses a rebuilt one. a parts plus dealer will get you a new motor for a few dollars more...a rebuild for same or less.
bob