is this normal fo a new motor?

scottandrea

Cadet
hi all ,just baught a new 18f maxim with a 3.0 mercruiser. the motor has that new e-z start carb. the motor runs rough at idle and makes a loud hisss noise at idle(sounds like an air compressor hose) and the thing just started making valve train noise :mad:This is my first I/O so i am not sure if any of this is normal fo an I/O. I have always had outboards. thanks

Daddy5295

Seaman
Re: is this normal fo a new motor?

Your motor should run and sound like a car motor. My opinion not thats not normal. Is the boat brand new? I think I would be making a trip to the dealer for some warranty work.

2002 Chapparal 4.3L Mercruiser

kellydee

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi all ,just baught a new 18f maxim with a 3.0 mercruiser. the motor has that new e-z start carb. the motor runs rough at idle and makes a loud hisss noise at idle(sounds like an air compressor hose) and the thing just started making valve train noise :mad:This is my first I/O so i am not sure if any of this is normal fo an I/O. I have always had outboards. thanks

If you're talking about the Turn Key Start,I've got a brand new 2007 5.7l TKS.It makes the same loud hiss,until she warms up.Also,sounds like a knocking or rattling,until she warms up.Both noises disappear when she's warm.54 hrs on mine now and no problems.Jerry

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why can't they just let things be simple? This whole "turn key start" is just more junk ready to go wrong.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you're talking about the Turn Key Start,I've got a brand new 2007 5.7l TKS.It makes the same loud hiss,until she warms up.Also,sounds like a knocking or rattling,until she warms up.Both noises disappear when she's warm.54 hrs on mine now and no problems.Jerry

If I had a brand new boat & it knocked on a cold startup, I'd have it at the dealer's pronto. If anything, just to have a record in case there's a problem in the future. It's called cover your azz.