Stuff that works for cleaning stains off hull....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
A friend at work lost his sailboat to the storms last year. He gave me a buch of stuff and included was a contaner of Crystal Lakes Hull and Bottom Cleaner. I think the parent company is Marykate. It is the 20 oz size, and I mixed it up according to directions (I made about 1.5 gallons) and washed the hull and lower leg of the outboard.

Man oh Man, oh Man! This stuff does what it says! The hull was clean of algie, barnicals, etc, before washing, but was getting very yellow, same with the outboard lower leg. This stuff took the yellow off. I mean it really took the yellow off!!! I mixed according to directions, then applied with a rag and my bare hands. Big mistake! Bare hands end up burning! Ouch! ouch! ouch! Use gloves!!! Read directions!!!!

Anyway, this product worked to remove the yellow stains from fresh water use.

Don't know if iboats sells this stuff. If not, then call iboats and ask them to order "Crystal Lakes Hull and Bottom Cleaner".

I have no affiliation with this company or their sales. Just wanted to share my experience with a product that actually works.

BTW: The left over mix I put on the aluminum wheels of my car and they look like new! Took off all that brake pad dust and yellowing that happens with coated alluminum wheels. Can't ask for more.

This was free to me, but the tag from the marina my friend bought it from says $18.99 for the 20 oz size. Well worth the expense.

I just love it when a product works as advertised!

(Ya know, with about 4000 posts, I am not hawking a product that I have financial ties to. Don't have to do that.)

Linc33

Seaman
Re: Stuff that works for cleaning stains off hull....

Thanks for the post Mark. Sounds like a great product, I'll see if I can locate some for myself.

-Linc

catchbats

Seaman

Zing! $10 bucks, spray it on pressure washed it off and worked great. Acid based so use caution and mix correctly. The boat I bought was stored last summer in the water and this took of any evedince of it.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Tried Starbrite's EZ ON EZ OFF last Saturday. Same results as above. All signs of yellow gone almost instantly. It must be acid-based too because the stink coming off it made my throat raw. Even more alarming was watching my galvanized trailer smoke where the drips landed. Yikes! I wore heavy rubber gloves but next time eye protection as well.

MikDee

Banned

As a total hull, cleaner, detailer, & finish restorer, MaryKate's Clean, & Detail is hard to beat!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

All these products contain oxalic acid, which is what makes the hull white again. I get the same stuff at Dollar General. It's called "The Works!". Does the job just as well as the "marine" cleaners.
If you get it on your skin or metal (like a trailer), hose it off immediately.

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can also get the oxalic acid crystals at some ace hardware stores that is very high strength(molality) for $17 a quart.Mix 1 table spoon to gallon of fresh water.Its also a great teak brightener and take rust stains off about anything!

vess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Mark- I did the same thing recently. Washed the hull with Starbrite's oxalic acid cleaner, and never used gloves. It tingled only a little, as I kept using water to rinse, so I wasn't too concerned and happily moved along the entire hull. Two days later all the skin on my hands peeled off. I won't make that dumb mistake again. However, the results are amazing- all the tea staining gone. I found that I needed to wax the hull again, as that stuff really strips the finish off. Worth it for the clean look, however.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

>"...Oxalic acid cleaner and two days later..."

You're lucky. Oxalic acid also disrupts blood chemistry (notably Calcium ion balance) and can cause heart arrythmia and even cardiac arrest. (Death).

So don't let significant quantities of Oxalic acid get on your skin!!!

Aside from that, it works wonders a bleaching a dull hull back to pure white. Davis makes a gellied Oxalic acid product called FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) that also works well.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought 4 lbs. of oxalic acid (powdered) for $3.25/lb. recently. That should be enough for at least 20 gals. of solution. Imagine how long a quart last, and I can get at least 80 quarts of the stuff. As soon as my last quart of Star Brite hull cleaner runs out, I'll make up a quart of this stuff. Oh, I have a bottle of "The Works" to use up too. I wish I could have found out about oxalic acid sooner. I have to read labels. BTW, Google search revealed a blog saying Bar Keepers Friend contains oxalic acid.

NHGuy

Captain

I agree, this stuff works great. I have some Mary Kate myself. The bottle says to cover your eyes, hands, and trailer. Don't breathe the vapors or allow it to get on you. I did and recommend that all of you do too. Use the minimum amount and be cautious of where the rinse goes.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

5 year old thread...........

Status
Not open for further replies.