Changing old steering cable

dannyb2007

Recruit
Hi guys,

The steering cable on my boat has recently perished beyond repair so i would like to change it for a new one.

I have disconnected the arm which steers the outboard but i cant seem to get the rod out which is connected to the cable, it comes out so far but i guess there is a few inches still to come out.

Can anyone talk me through how to change the cable please as i am total novice with boats but would like to have a go at doing something myself and it seems like an easyish task ?!

The cable : Red outer plastic housing. Inside that is small guage metal strands & inside that is a bigger guage metal rod.

Thanks to anyone who reads this :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Changing old steering cable

Welcome to iboats. :)

You have to disconnect the big nut that holds the red jacket to the motor and pull the whole thing out that way. On some boats, you have to unbolt the motor from the transom to allow enough room. It sounds like you're trying to just replace the core, but you have to replace the whole cable, casing and all. Click on the iboats Marine Store button on the upper left and enter Steering System in the search box. That'll give you an idea of what's included in a complete system. One system is available for less $$$ than just a replacement cable, but just replacing the cable is usually an option too.