1989 85 hp Force for parts-value ??

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought it and unfortunately found that some moron had run it after the water pump failed. It's stuck, but looks to have little use other than the seizure. The lower is good, carbs, electronics, ignition, engine cowl and lower housing, all very good. I would like to sell it in one piece. I also have the controls and harness which are in excellent shape. What's this thing worth ??? I have it on Craig's List/Cape Cod but am not getting any bites even though I said "or Best Offer". I really don't want to do the Ebay bit. Thanks.

513017.JPG

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 85 hp Force for parts-value ??

Are you sure your listing on Craig's list is correct? I can't find your listing on there, so maybe that is the problem. I don't see Cape Cod listed as a city, only Boston, and your listing does not show.

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do see on there that a fella from Easton has a 1986 85 hp force that is freshly tuned with a new water pump and starter for $900- negotiable. It is listed under recreational vehicles rather than boats. If your's is frozen up than I would imagine you might not get close to 900 for it. What did you list it for or how much were you wanting to try and get for it?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Piece it out on Ebay in winter..

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah, part it out and sell it on ebay, you will get more money for sure..

artic-z

Cadet

ill take the choke solenoid for $10.00

this forum could use a parts classified.

Bigprairie1

Commander

this forum could use a parts classified.

....great idea!! How about thinking of some reasonable format for such a thing so it didn't get out of control? (obviously this forum should not turn into a garage sale)
However...say something like you were allowed to either buy or sell (1-2) items a month, no more, or something like that. That would help keep it under control.
Or come up with some other creative mechanism for limiting mis-use.
Just an idea.

yadleinad

Cadet

For the price you got the motor for ( I was bidding on the same motor ;-) ) you should be able to part it out for a fair abount more then what you paid for it... Lower unit could sell for almost 2x what the final price.

artic-z

Cadet

....great idea!! How about thinking of some reasonable format for such a thing so it didn't get out of control? (obviously this forum should not turn into a garage sale)
However...say something like you were allowed to either buy or sell (1-2) items a month, no more, or something like that. That would help keep it under control.
Or come up with some other creative mechanism for limiting mis-use.
Just an idea.

well being that this site sells parts new i dont believe they'll ever have a complete classified section deticated for users selling parts FTF or sending through the mail. it just cuts from their profit. probably aginst the rules somewhere when you register for a forum name. but it'd be nice to have a classifieds for us poor'er boaters who cant afford new parts.

Bigprairie1

Commander

articz- I agree.
Iboats has their product/sales component which should be left unfettered...no problems. This would only be for used items....and to my knowledge (not that I've looked far into it) they don't sell used stuff...or am I wrong on that one?
This used market place would be better served in my opinion by the groups within the forum who are already supporting one another within their boat and motor types. I would have more confidence in and would rather buy a used part from one of the other Force guys than some distant general seller myself.
Thats my two cents.

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

they cant make any money off that...so it wont happen...

bowhuntrl.....your motor is probably worth about $500 whole.....but upwards to $900+ if you part it out on ebay...just the lower unit goes for $350-450, electrical system $150-$200+...tilt and trim $250 easy. plus the carbs/fuel system another $100+ ...of course this is just my opinion from watching force prices on ebay the last 2 yrs..you may get more or less...

did you ask to hear it run before you bought it?

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

t

did you ask to hear it run before you bought it?

No, that wasn't possible in this case. I took a chance that it wouldn't be too bad, but lost in this instance. I'm sure I'll at least get my money back since it was bought pretty reasonable.

cpriore

Seaman Apprentice

Im over on the Vineyard. Can you send me some ignition parts. Im desperate.

cpriore

Seaman Apprentice

if you could pm me that would be great thx.