6hp evinrude e6rcrm

jamesd8269

Recruit
I loose power when I put my cover on. I read somewhere it could very well be a gasket underneath the powerhead. Could that be the case? If so, how hard to repair and can I run it without the cover. Thank you.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6hp evinrude e6rcrm

Are you running it on a boat in the water, or in a barrel? They won't run right in a barrel with the cover on. If you do have it on a boat, yes it probably is an exhaust leak somewhere.

You should not be running it without the cover. It might not hurt the motor, but it will hurt you if you get tangled up with the flywheel. Not to mention the water that it is going to ingest when you get caught in that rain shower.

jamesd8269

Recruit

I was running it in a barret. I took out the trim stem (rich/lean) and set it back where the engine was running nice without the cover. When I put the cover on, it smoked and starting missing a little. Could it be exhaust and, if so, are they hard to replace?

jamesd8269

Recruit

Today, I was, again, tinkering with the motor and found that the hose running from the exhaust on the block to the small black "***" on the housing was stopped up solid. Would this have any impact?

Thanks for all of your help...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That nipple that you speak of is your tell tale, not the problem you are speaking of , but a demon none the less. That is where your spent cooling water exits, which often gets plugged up with cob webs and insects. That must be kept clean. FR already asnwered your question about running it in the barrel , it wont run right in a barrel with the cowl on.

jamesd8269

Recruit

Thanks a bunch to you and FR. I also want to thank Mr. Reeves for his excellant material on how to set the trim needle. You guys are great.

iwombat

Captain

The tell-tale does not exit "spent" cooling fluid. It's simply a tapped line into the block's cooling jacket that lets you know you've got pressure. It's small so it won't interfere much with the water pressure in the block. The only harm in having it blocked is it may cause operator panic and general unrest. It's not mechanically important to the operation of the motor.