Steering Frozen.......

I have a 05 Doral 190 BR with a 115 Merc outboard. I am located in florida. Although I do not "Winterize" my boat, I do go a few months a year without using it. When I went to take the boat out for the first time this summer, my steering was completely frozen. The outboard is stuck all the way to the port side. I have greased everything I can see and even sprayed down with oil. Today, I disconnected the steering cable from the steering wheel. This freed up the steering wheel. When I unscrewed the cable from the back of the outboard, still no luck. I could not completely remove the rod from the outboard that is connected to the cable, but it came all the way out except for an inch or two I would guess. The rod was dry so I greased this as well. Still no movement in the outboard. When I try to rock the outboard, the motor moves slightly, but none of the steering linkages even budge or move. It almost looks like the steering linkages are not even hooked up because of this. Can anyone help? I am a fairly new boater and not too mechanically gifted with boats. :confused:

Laddies

Banned
Re: Steering Frozen.......

Your steering cable is either frozen up in the engine tube which can be removed and cleaned and lubed or in the cable which would have to be replaced

Can I just clarify:
Is the engine tube the rod which I unbolted and pulled out of the outboard (but could not get all the way out)? If this was the problem, shouldn't it have freed up the outboard when I pulled out most the rod (except for an inch or so)? In this case, the outboard was still seized when I unbolted the steering cable from the motor and pulled the rod mostly out. My trouble shooting raised a flag when the rod was pulled out and the motor would still not move. Would this eliminate the cable as the problem or Could it still be the cable? You are the expert. :) Thanks a million for your advice.

Laddies

Banned

No I guess I didn't understand the question, if you have removed the steering cable from the place it's anchored to the motor and you can then turn the steering wheel but still can't turn the engine then the engine is stuck on the swivel bracket I don't know what model it is but with most a little heat on the lower part of the swivel bracket will loosen it up, once it's loose keep it well lubed and don't forget to lube when it's gone to sit for a while