Lower Unit leak

littlemess

Seaman Apprentice
OK. Another problem with my problematic 79/85 25 HP Evinrude (power head is a 1979... Transom mount serial # is 1985). After running it in a tank yesterday I noticed a small puddle of lower unit lube on the garage floor. It is seeping out of a small hole about 3/4 the way down the lower unit. My 13 yr. old son and I like to turn wrenches even though my knowledge of outboards in nearly ZERO. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this. I don't want to continue to work on the electrical issues (and run the engine) with the lower unit leaking. Help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit leak

The small hole you speak of is a water drain, essential to engines when used/stored where freezinng temperatures exist.

The oil you see might just very well be the unburnt oil mixture draining down from the powerhead thru the long soot filled exhaust housing.

Loosen the large bottom slotted drain screw in the lower unit skeg and compare that oil to what you're speaking of.

To check the lower unit for leakage, drain the gearlube, then apply 7 to 12 pounds of pressurized air to it. Any leaks should be revealed either by sight or sound.

I assume that you know better than to remove a philips head screw from the lower unit if it exists.... That philips screw is a shoulder screw, a pivot pin for the internal shift lever.

littlemess

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lower Unit leak

OK. We'll do that today. I have been running it at Idle only, so your assessment of unburned oil makes sense. Thanks.