1969 Johnson 9.5 Questions

12-ft-skiff

Recruit
I recently acquired a '69 Johnson 9 1/2 horse engine. My inlaws gave it to us for free along with a 12' aluminum skiff from the same era. The engine has been sitting for the last year, and I'm not sure how much it was used before that. If it's always been attached to the skiff that came with it, it's been used a lot.

I got it running yesterday after cleaning the carb out good and replacing the fuel line from the tank to the motor. I set the idle and it seems to run pretty good. It's spitting water out the back, so it appears the impeller works. I also know the fuel pump was replaced on it last year.

Aside from that, you have all the info I do. I don't know what maintenance has been done on this thing in the past, but judging from the state of the rotted transom wood that was on the skiff, I'm guessing it wasn't meticulously maintained. It's always been a MN or WI boat, which mean's it's only used 6 months a year max.

This is my first boat motor, and I'm not really knowledgable on what maintenance needs to be done on them. What stuff should I be doing to it?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Johnson 9.5 Questions

edit

Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Johnson 9.5 Questions

edit

Last edited: